The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amano Shrimp or some things else.

36K views 162 replies 20 participants last post by  shou 
#1 ·
petco brought Amano Shrimps berried with orange eggs. Never see orange eggs berried Amano Shrimps before.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
The Green Lace Shrimp looks very similar to an Amano, especially when younger/smaller, and I've twice been sold green laces in amongst the amanos I THOUGHT I was buying. Only realized when they got a third bigger than their tankmates, and some started to take on a green/blue hue. Their eggs ARE a different color, and there is a subtle difference to the patterns on their bodies if you know what to look for, but the best way to tell is by taking a close look at their front legs. Green Laces are one of the smallest filter feeding shrimp, and have fine "fans" on their front "legs" to enable them to filter food out of the water current. If it's an amano, it won't have these fans. Google both and you'll see what I mean :)

Your photo isn't clear enough for me to tell, but when an amano doesn't seem quite like an amano, very often it's a green lace.

#14 ·
They hatch out hundreds, if not thousands of zoes.

Someone said that a high protein diet could result in yellow eggs, where-as a high algae diet the eggs will be a different color. Said it's true for Neocaridinas but not Caridinas. Apparently, amanos could be an exception?

Bump: Here's the info...

Jeff - For neos the color of the eggs usually indicates diets. Green for high algae, yellow for high protein. Caridina on the other hand can be an indication of color of offspring

Jeff - Yes true, but not very colorful ones. Their eggs can be compared to neo. Yellow eggs would just mean a high protein diet and so forth.

#32 ·
Mixed my brackish water with local tap water at 15GH and 8KH. temperatures at 70 to mid 70.
Salinity could be any where. Breed the F1 at 35 ppt F2 at 20 ppt and still trying to find where the F3 salinity will be at.
I have better luck at spring time, seasonality I guess. Don’t need a heater at spring.

Not much feeding activity at lower temperatures and the larvae starved and perished.