need help setting up 5Gal shrimp tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turningdizzy View Post
I believe that that is the one. The other stuff that was too fine, it came in a bag with red lettering. I wanna say the good stuff also had 20/40 marked on the bag somewhere.
I just went to the store. it's not 20/40. It's marked both 12/40 and 16/30 I believe. It's a bit more coarse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Give a little update. I ended up not using any sand. Tried to planted the tank based off of my 120G design as a test run.

With limited choice of plant locally, it ended up like this.

A close up.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Just waiting for ammonia to go down. It's been staying at 2.0 for almost a week. No BB seeding yet I'm hopping I'll get some next week.

Bump: Any idea why image is not showing up?

Last edited by viodea; 07-21-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Fixed image links
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have cycled media you could borrow from a friend or another tank of yours if you have? That would greatly speed up the cycle and get you the bb you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to get the image address, not the page address. You can do this by right clicking on the image. Chrome allows you to direct copy the address, but IE and Firefox probably requires going to properties and finding it that way.

Buffering substrates that leach ammonia can cause the cycle to take longer, too.

Might help to try raising the temperature of the tank to 84-86 F.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Last edited by Zoidburg; 07-21-2017 at 04:11 AM. Reason: .
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Do you have cycled media you could borrow from a friend or another tank of yours if you have? That would greatly speed up the cycle and get you the bb you need.

I gave a sponge and some media to my co-worker a few days ago. I'm going to pick it up next week. I hope the sponge in his tank for a few days is enough to get me a kick start.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
I gave a sponge and some media to my co-worker a few days ago. I'm going to pick it up next week. I hope the sponge in his tank for a few days is enough to get me a kick start.

It will definitely get you going in the right direction. Will speed up the cycle but how much is hard to say.

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post

Buffering substrates that leach ammonia can cause the cycle to take longer, too.

Might help to try raising the temperature of the tank to 84-86 F.
I don't think it's the substrates leaching ammonia. The ammonia stay the same for a few days already. Initially it was very low like 0.5 or so. I added ammonia in there to start the cycle.

I don't have a heater for the tank yet, so, can't really raise the temp. It's around 80F.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't think it's the substrates leaching ammonia. The ammonia stay the same for a few days already. Initially it was very low like 0.5 or so. I added ammonia in there to start the cycle.

I don't have a heater for the tank yet, so, can't really raise the temp. It's around 80F.

What soil did you go with? Some buffering substrates do leach ammonia and some do not. For example ADA Amazonia does and for a while which is why you need to cycle it for a bit before adding any livestock. Others like Controsoil do not do it all depends on what you have.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up using Aquasolum. Ammonia hasn't changed since I added them to start the cycle. Both nitrite (0) and nitrate (5) remains since day one. That's why I know it's not cycling and no ammonia leaching from soil.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Then you need to get ammonia into the tank to help it cycle.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Then you need to get ammonia into the tank to help it cycle.

I did add it to 2. Should I add more?

Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

Anything above 0 is acceptable. The key is never letting the bacteria starve (0)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's making progress. Ammonia around 1.5, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 7.0.
At what point should I do water change?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
It's making progress. Ammonia around 1.5, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 7.0.
At what point should I do water change?
When nitrates get over 40-80ppm, I'd do a water change. At some point, they can be inhibited as seen in Immortal1's testing of matrix.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
viodea and viodea like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode