LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
I think they are Malaya Shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have to agree. The markings on your Shrimp are very similar to ones posted on the Internet.

Bump: citrusvrucht,

Your Shrimp are very beautiful! I absolutely love the Pinto Red Zebra, and the Black Fancy TiBee.
Great work on the photos also. I am waiting on my macro lenses to come in the mail so, I can make better Close-up Pictures of my Shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Https://youtu.be/FJZcUz_-QUs
I hope this plays on your pc or phone...had some issues.

These are mine breeding

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
post #33 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
My great ugly workhorse.

I don't know why, but my older amanos keep changing colors when they molt- used to be more yellow, then orangish, some are almost brick red now. Newer ones I got recently are translucent and spotted like JonRon's. (Are these not amanos?)
I might be wrong, but they rather look to be Caridina sp. or even green Babaulti shrimps, not Amano

post #34 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRon View Post
Has she breed yet?
Yes, she has been berried twice since getting her. Unfortunately I only had 3 babies make it to be juvies. Not sure why most of the babies didn't survive. I recently added a sponge filter to try and get some additional filtration and aeration in the tank, maybe that will help.
post #35 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

A few of my shrimps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #36 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajcher91 View Post
A few of my shrimps.

You have some really nice Shrimp here!!
post #37 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuva View Post
I might be wrong, but they rather look to be Caridina sp. or even green Babaulti shrimps, not Amano
Ok so, funny (or annoying) thing is, the pet store had the first group I got marked as "amano shrimp"- which are like the first one I showed. Newer ones I got were marked at the same store as "algae eater shrimp" they look like this:

They do have a white stripe down the back, but it is thinner, and they have the red dots on the sides. Are these ones amano? I'm really wondering now.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #38 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRon View Post
You have some really nice Shrimp here!!
Thanks.

post #39 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
I think they are Malaya Shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! I think you're right! They DO look like Malaya shrimp when I look it up. I did not know about this species before. Pretty cool I just found out they can breed in fresh water (although I bet my fish would eat any larvae) and they do change colors, which mine have done all along. Mine are pretty big, too- at least two inches now. Bummer, I just also learned they only live two years.

Thanks for helping me identify them.
Opare and Opare like this.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 06-13-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added a sentence
post #40 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok so, funny (or annoying) thing is, the pet store had the first group I got marked as "amano shrimp"- which are like the first one I showed. Newer ones I got were marked at the same store as "algae eater shrimp" they look like this:

They do have a white stripe down the back, but it is thinner, and they have the red dots on the sides. Are these ones amano? I'm really wondering now.
Yes, those would be Amano shrimp
Opare and Opare like this.
post #41 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, thanks. Well, even though the names are confusing, at least I finally got the ones I thought I wanted! And I'm glad to find out that Malaya shrimp won't interbreed with Amano shrimp, so IF I ever get some shrimp babies, they'll probably be pure Malayas...

|
|
|
|
post #42 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Well, even though the names are confusing, at least I finally got the ones I thought I wanted! And I'm glad to find out that Malaya shrimp won't interbreed with Amano shrimp, so IF I ever get some shrimp babies, they'll probably be pure Malayas...

Generally speaking, they label the larger amanos (may more commonly females) as "amano shrimp"

However, the smaller amanos (more commonly males and/or young females) as "algae eating shrimp"

It's possible that the supplier for the store "ran out" of the large amanos, thus they substituted another species in their place, thus you got the Malaya shrimp instead. That, or they didn't know what they had and didn't care.

Malaya shrimp have around the same amount of eggs as Neos or Tiger and Bee shrimp have. Amanos on the other hand have hundreds, if not thousands, of eggs and they will hatch in freshwater. (fish food...) Amanos are easy to sex, males have dots and females have dashes. The one in your picture appears to be a young female with dashes on her side.
post #43 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you @Zoidburg that's very helpful!
Is it true that Malayas are relatively uncommon? I read this in several articles, but don't know if it is still the case. (They were certainly pricier than the cherry shrimps and ghost shrimps at the same store)

|
|
|
|
post #44 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@JJ09 I haven't seen very many people with Malaya... they are certainly around, but indeed, not all that common.
post #45 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

They are some very tidy shrimps you have there vajcher91
vajcher91 and vajcher91 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode