Neos slowly dying, don't know why - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Which one was the sledge hammer?
Hah! Zoidburg recommended I take the tank apart and start over so I guess that's the one.

I'm a sucker for the sunken cost fallacy, though, so I'm going to hold on to the bitter end. Also, I like where my plants are and it took months to get a nice carpet :P
aotf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 70
If you have any of that amazonia left over you could use it to condition water before it hits your tank in the meantime to avoid ph 8-9 water going into the tank and being buffered in there with the shrimp. I remember from that other thread setting up another tank didn't sound like an option right now. From what Zoidburg said about kh and the substrate, (which I did not know, thank you Zoidburg!) it doesn't sound like the limestone is doing you any favors either. RO/DI and remin sounds like a great idea. Just throwing out some thoughts to try and make the best of it for now until the "bitter end" as you so eloquently put it lol. I hope you find a happy medium in all this and I'm not talking about miss cleo. Although she may have something to say...it'll cost $2.99 a min.
Corydoradaxplora is offline  
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corydoradaxplora View Post
If you have any of that amazonia left over you could use it to condition water before it hits your tank in the meantime to avoid ph 8-9 water going into the tank and being buffered in there with the shrimp. I remember from that other thread setting up another tank didn't sound like an option right now. From what Zoidburg said about kh and the substrate, (which I did not know, thank you Zoidburg!) it doesn't sound like the limestone is doing you any favors either. RO/DI and remin sounds like a great idea. Just throwing out some thoughts to try and make the best of it for now until the "bitter end" as you so eloquently put it lol. I hope you find a happy medium in all this and I'm not talking about miss cleo. Although she may have something to say...it'll cost $2.99 a min.
The amazonia conditioning is a great idea, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that. I do have extra, I even tried starting a low-tech vase tank with it.

Yeah, I don't get the luxury of a second actual tank. I have a Brita filter (sans filter) sitting on the counter with my nerites in it (I fenbened the tank last week and I don't want to kill them). That's as good as it gets.

Unfortunately, the "bitter end" looks like maybe Thursday or Friday. I think I'm down to two shrimp, one of which looks like it died two days ago but hasn't figured it out yet. Guess I can start looking into RO units....

What's most puzzling about this water situation is that I'm in the Bay Area where we get delicious Hetch Hetchy water. I was under the impression that it's considered really easy to use in a tank. Kind of seems like I should be consulting a psychic. Maybe I could ask all the dead shrimp what went wrong.
aotf is offline  
 
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
Neos slowly dying, don't know why

Watch the ammonia levels on the Amazonia conditioned water because it leeches ammonia.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 53
Could just be your water is much different than what these guys were born and raised in. If so just hope some of the females give birth and those shrimp will be 100x more hardy and adjusted to your tank conditions. More than likely all these shrimp will die within 6 months. That is the experience I have had previously.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KGNickl is offline  
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
caique's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Clara Calif.
Posts: 567
Your water is to soft add some gh I keep mine at 5 and my TDS is at 340 or so.
caique is offline  
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Watch the ammonia levels on the Amazonia conditioned water because it leeches ammonia.
Yup, that's also the reason I let my tank cycle for like 3-4 MONTHS (excessive, I know) before putting any critters in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGNickl View Post
Could just be your water is much different than what these guys were born and raised in. If so just hope some of the females give birth and those shrimp will be 100x more hardy and adjusted to your tank conditions. More than likely all these shrimp will die within 6 months. That is the experience I have had previously.
I've heard of others with similar experiences. Luckily, I've already had 3 hatches so if that's the problem, the shrimplets should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Your water is to soft add some gh I keep mine at 5 and my TDS is at 340 or so.
My tap water is crazy soft. That's what the limestone was originally for but even with a kilo of it in the filter, I'm only pushing 4-5 gH and my TDS ins't even that high (although still within the range of what neos live in).
aotf is offline  
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
I'm going to update this over the next couple days in case anyone is actually following:

The red rili that looked like death is still holding on! My three remaining blues are also sticking around and don't look quite as dead yet.
I received some API Tetracycline in the mail yesterday (I've heard recommendations for it as a treatment for bacterial infections for shrimp) so I decided to give it a shot.

Last night, I pulled my filter pads out of the canister and moved them to a jar with tank water and an airstone. The reasoning behind this is that the tetracycline will likely wreck havoc on the bacterial colony in the filter. In order to mitigate the damage and let my filter repopulate ASAP, I'm keeping some of it away from the tank until after treatment. We'll see how that goes. After that, I dumped a normal dose of the tetracycline into my tank. It looks like I have 10 gallons of urine in my living room now.

This morning, my red rili came out from behind her giant rock for the first time in 3 days to graze on some algae. It's too soon to guess at whether it's thanks to the medication but that's the most I've seen her move in about a week. There is hope yet!
ibebian, ibebian, Zoidburg and 3 others like this.
aotf is offline  
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 70
Let us know how it goes and hope the best for you!
Corydoradaxplora is offline  
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 155
Don't forget to "feed" the bacterial colony in your isolation jar, otherwise it might starve to death.
Opare and Opare like this.
BigMek is offline  
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
Don't forget to "feed" the bacterial colony in your isolation jar, otherwise it might starve to death.
Good point! What does that process look like?
Do I just throw a piece of spinach in there and let it decompose?

I have plenty of the nasty little copepods I'd be willing to sacrifice to the filter gods.
aotf is offline  
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 155
Basically anything you can put in there to generate a supply of ammonia. Spinach sounds like a plan, but fish food would work too.

Since you're possibly wiping out all the bacteria in your tank, here's an idea: your bacterial colony will grow to match its food supply. So, if you provide a lot of food (ammonia) to an already established colony, you would cause it to proliferate. Then, when you're done treating your tank, you can take your now much larger colony out of isolation, drop it into your tank and hopefully have more bacteria than you actually need. Basically, overfeed your isolation jar (not like you have any livestock in there to worry about) and with luck your colony will get beefy enough that you don't have a mini-cycle when you reintroduce it to the main tank. Note: take this with a grain of salt, I'm basing it on an understanding of how bacteria works rather than any personal experience.
Opare and Opare like this.
BigMek is offline  
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
Yeah feeding the bacteria with pure ammonia if you already have it from when you cycled your tank would work too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
... but fish food would work too.
Thanks to a stroke of luck, I have fish food laying around even though I have never had fish in this tank. Feels kind of weird feeding my filter.

"Here you go buddy! nom nom nom"
*filter continues to bubble, looks disinterested*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Yeah feeding the bacteria with pure ammonia if you already have it from when you cycled your tank would work too.
Unfortunately, I didn't use any cycling aides. Just time, plants, and snails.
aotf is offline  
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Planted Member
 
ibebian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by assofthefist View Post
What's most puzzling about this water situation is that I'm in the Bay Area where we get delicious Hetch Hetchy water. I was under the impression that it's considered really easy to use in a tank. Kind of seems like I should be consulting a psychic. Maybe I could ask all the dead shrimp what went wrong.

In March, we starting adding in groundwater to hetch hetchy water. Not sure what the params are on those but should be able to find out from sfwater.org.

Are you feeding any foods containing bacteria (lactobacillus, etc) by any chance?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ibebian is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome