Breeding population of shrimp to sustain a semi-aggressive community? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Silang
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg
  • 2 Post By Nordic
  • 2 Post By BettaBettas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Breeding population of shrimp to sustain a semi-aggressive community?

So I am interested of getting Cherry Shrimps - hardy, and easy to breed they say. But of course I know they are instant live food for aggressive fish species.

I have a 65 gallon, fairly planted tank, with a school of 9 tiger barbs. Do you guys think it is possible to (1.)house a certain number of shrimps that can live long enough to: breed and maintain population despite the imminent deaths from the Barbs? If yes, how many? I'll try to add more plants and hiding places for the shrimps if necessary. This is part of my experiment of have a self-sustaining tank. If the answer is NO because the barbs will absolutely kill them all, then I am happy to move away fro this idea

Additional questions:
2. How long cherry shrimps live? (let's say they managed to avoid getting eaten)
3. How long does it take for them to breed after obtaining adults from the shop?
4. How long does it take for the babies/fry/whatever you call em, to grow old enough to breed themselves?

added note: I also have 5 mollies (4 females) that I am hoping will populate the tank with fry - bonus free food for the barbs from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Banned

im probably way off but I think they live for seven years I think?....
few weeks maybe days
months
Tiger barbs are mid tank, do you have a Heavily planted tank? that's the only way I'd see them live.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
im probably way off but I think they live for seven years I think?....
few weeks maybe days
months
Tiger barbs are mid tank, do you have a Heavily planted tank? that's the only way I'd see them live.
this is my tank at 2 weeks old. Will definitely add more plants soon. Kind of messy setup, but I am aiming to replicate the natural habitat of barbs - dirt-gravel-sand substrate, with rocks, twigs and dried leaves for more 'natural look'
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by Silang; 06-28-2019 at 02:12 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

Cherries live a little over a year. Your tank doesn't have that much plants, if you want to have a decent size colony you should have a large plant load like you can barely see the substrate large. Now here is the thing if one if your shrimps die and the barbs eat it they will realize how good it taste and will start hunting for live ones but if you have a large plant cover then most will hide and survive but will barely be seen......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
Cherries live a little over a year. Your tank doesn't have that much plants, if you want to have a decent size colony you should have a large plant load like you can barely see the substrate large. Now here is the thing if one if your shrimps die and the barbs eat it they will realize how good it taste and will start hunting for live ones but if you have a large plant cover then most will hide and survive but will barely be seen......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Noted - will add more plants before getting shrimps. How many shrimps do I need to get initially to have a "decent size colony" that can successfully breed in my setup?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
As others have said, you need a lot more plants / hiding places for them to survive.

I would highly recommend building a colony in a little 10 gallon tank or something and then transfer them all into the bigger tank once you have a hundred or so adults (should take a few months).

Usually you want a large, established colony in the tank before introducing fish, so that's my workaround

To answer your other questions:

How long it takes for adults from the LFS to breed depends - it could be immediate (or even already berried) or could be a month. Adults don't acclimate quite as well as younger shrimp.

As for birth to reproducing, I think it's around 6 weeks depending on temperature. The higher the temp (within their range), the faster they grow and the shorter the gestation period. The downside is shorter life and higher risk of bacterial infections.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

1. house a certain number of shrimps that can live long enough to: breed and maintain population despite the imminent deaths from the Barbs? If yes, how many?
Possibly, but I saw ditto on setting up a separate tank and once you get some offspring in there that are rather large, you can then try introducing them into the community tank.

2. How long cherry shrimps live? (let's say they managed to avoid getting eaten)
Typically 1-2 years

Amanos can live for 10+ years potentially, but their offspring cannot survive in fresh water.

3. How long does it take for them to breed after obtaining adults from the shop?
As stated, varies.

4. How long does it take for the babies/fry/whatever you call em, to grow old enough to breed themselves?
Juvies (babies) may take 3-6 months before they start reproducing, if conditions are good.

A good question is... do you know the GH, KH and TDS of your water?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would dedicate at least one corner to a giant moss bush.
Turningdizzy and Turningdizzy like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:27 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's much easier when you start with shrimps. Let them breed, establish a nice colony and then put fish in the tank, but it's too late for that ;-)
You would have to plant much more than that and add mosses, as much as you can. Then you could try adding shrimp, but I would try with a decent number, like 20-30 at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
1. house a certain number of shrimps that can live long enough to: breed and maintain population despite the imminent deaths from the Barbs? If yes, how many?
Possibly, but I saw ditto on setting up a separate tank and once you get some offspring in there that are rather large, you can then try introducing them into the community tank.

Typically 1-2 years

Amanos can live for 10+ years potentially, but their offspring cannot survive in fresh water.

As stated, varies.

Juvies (babies) may take 3-6 months before they start reproducing, if conditions are good.
Thanks for the clear answers!

[/QUOTE]
A good question is... do you know the GH, KH and TDS of your water?[/QUOTE] Sorry to say but, No. If these are critical, then I must study about these then.. thanks!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
It's much easier when you start with shrimps. Let them breed, establish a nice colony and then put fish in the tank, but it's too late for that ;-)
You would have to plant much more than that and add mosses, as much as you can. Then you could try adding shrimp, but I would try with a decent number, like 20-30 at least.
Yes I agree.. But I am afraid the idea came too late

Thanks for all the guidance everyone! I appreciate them... Now let me put more plants first. Once they are all growing thick, then let's see if I can push with the shrimp idea. Cheers!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've got Cherries at least 5 years old...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
yea, knew I was on the right track lol
leemacnyc and leemacnyc like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silang View Post
Sorry to say but, No. If these are critical, then I must study about these then.. thanks!
IMO, it's good to know. A lot of people do great in keeping cherries in untreated tap water. I do that? They die. A local breeder who has *very* similar water as to what I have uses straight tap. Her shrimp do fine! Mine die due to a lack of minerals.... The main difference is that despite having basically the same water, her tanks are much older and "dirtier" (she doesn't top up with RO water, only tap) so it has higher GH, KH and TDS. Inside tanks run around 200-300 TDS and she has shrimp outside in a half whiskey barrel in TDS at 500-600+. What comes out of our tap is around 40-60 TDS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
What is the temperature of the water where they live?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
have you considered glass or ghost shrimp, much cheaper then cherries nearly all fishstore carry them as cheap feeders for fish. I used them for years feeding large eels ... tiretrac, fire and such. Never got a colony even with 50 or more at a time, they got ate before that could happen.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode