Safe to Feed These to Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Safe to Feed These to Shrimp?

Hi- maybe this should be in the "Confessions" thread... but to cut to the chase-

Are any of these safe to feed shrimp temporarily? NLS Cichlid Formula, NLS Thera +A, or ZooMed Spirulina 20? I have read all the ingredients and only one says anything about copper (copper proteinate)- way down in the list- the NLS Cichlid.

I'd recently started keep a few shrimp again (Neocaridina) after a hiatus, and have been using the Azoo Mineral and Azoo Vitamin as well as Fluval and Ocean Nutrition shrimp foods that I had from awhile ago. As you can guess, , I just noticed they are well past their expiration date. They have been stored properly, so I'm more concerned about potency than anything else-shrimp have been happily eating them for a month.

I will be ordering replacements today. Probably get Azoo suppliments from Drs F&S, they don't seem to carry shrimp food anymore. The LFS and chains in town have very little if any in shrimp supplies, but I'll be making some calls when they open.

One LFS offered to order Shrimp King for me, not familiar with it?

While we're here, any recommendations? I have just a few shrimp in a nano and want to give them proper food. I won't need a large supply, nor the real high end stuff, just decent quality.

Thanks!

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, rocks, Angels, Corys, Rasboras.
8g Nuvo: Pineapple SuperDumbo, driftwood, java moss and crypts. A jungle.
10g 3x divided Betta planted with Blue Mustard Gas, Red Double Tail HM, Blue/Red Fire Dragon and snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dana

Facebook LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I doubt the Azoo Vitamin and Mineral are required, although the Vitamin might be okay in tiny amounts. These are more geared towards *soft* water, which you don't have!

I'm not familiar with Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers, but I imagine they are fine. I have the Fluval Shrimp Granules. These also contain copper! Shrimp require copper, they just can't handle copper in high quantities like fish can.

Word of caution... The Fluval Shrimp Granules can discolor shrimp... I used to have two yellow shrimp. The Fluval food caused the shrimp to turn green.... it was only a temporary change, though. As such, I don't feed it very often.

I'm kind of familiar with Shrimp King products, but I don't have any of them. I can't remember which, but either the guy who designed the products or is advertising them (if not both) is famous in the shrimp world. His name is Chris Lukhaup, and he's helping to identify various species of shrimp found throughout the world. He has some amazing photography, too! (can see if on his Facebook page!)

I would recommend checking out the following websites though... in regards to shrimp related products.

Discobee
HanAquatics
BuyPetShrimp
Jungle Aqua Shrimp
ElevateShrimp
SevenSeaSupply
Triton Freshwater Aquatics
FinsNthings
Amber's Berries and buds
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, @Zoidburg! I'll have a look at those websites- And see what I can find at the LFS, I think that's where I got the Ocean Nutrition a couple of years ago.

BTW, I just gently put a quarter-sized Spirulina flake on the shrimp's feeding stone, and all of them are there decimating it. Didn't see the little guy, but he may wisely be hanging out in the java moss.

Off to the LFS -

Last edited by TeteRouge; 02-12-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: acknowledgement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feed my cherries Thera A+ once a week, seems to work out for them. =) I have almond leaves and bark in the aquarium to supplement them as well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I doubt the Azoo Vitamin and Mineral are required, although the Vitamin might be okay in tiny amounts. These are more geared towards *soft* water, which you don't have!

I'm not familiar with Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers, but I imagine they are fine. I have the Fluval Shrimp Granules. These also contain copper! Shrimp require copper, they just can't handle copper in high quantities like fish can.

Word of caution... The Fluval Shrimp Granules can discolor shrimp... I used to have two yellow shrimp. The Fluval food caused the shrimp to turn green.... it was only a temporary change, though. As such, I don't feed it very often.

I'm kind of familiar with Shrimp King products, but I don't have any of them. I can't remember which, but either the guy who designed the products or is advertising them (if not both) is famous in the shrimp world. His name is Chris Lukhaup, and he's helping to identify various species of shrimp found throughout the world. He has some amazing photography, too! (can see if on his Facebook page!).... <snip>
I used the Azoo Mineral very sparingly, suspecting I was had enough already- but just in case there was some magical additive, lol! Azoo Vitamins, a bit more. So I'll only replace those, then.

Interesting about the Fluval... I try to vary what I feed- well, as it's expired, going into the trash.I just went to that favorite LFS and they did have the Ocean Nutrition- but when we looked at the back, it said expires 04/16. I was buying a couple more shrimp, Purple Rasboras, and algae wafers (exp 2019, lol)- he just gave me the Ocean Nutr., said it would hold me until I could get something online or when he got more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinfish View Post
I feed my cherries Thera A+ once a week, seems to work out for them. =) I have almond leaves and bark in the aquarium to supplement them as well.
Ah, good to know! I'll use the Thera A+ as well. How often do you feed altogether? I have heard to do it everywhere from daily to alternate to weekly

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, rocks, Angels, Corys, Rasboras.
8g Nuvo: Pineapple SuperDumbo, driftwood, java moss and crypts. A jungle.
10g 3x divided Betta planted with Blue Mustard Gas, Red Double Tail HM, Blue/Red Fire Dragon and snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dana

Facebook LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With a tiny colony (aka 50 or less shrimp), they only need to be fed every 1-2 times a week, max 3 times. They'll also be eating the biofilm growing inside the tank.
TeteRouge and TeteRouge like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode