Invertabret ID - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Results:
After leaving the ammonia in to cycle through I still have scuds and now i also have nematodes (I think. little tiny white worms that swim in an S shape) and some really pretty large red/brown worms. At any rate 4ppm of ammonia did not help.
I am going to move on to trying Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) as they are predators of nematodes and small worms. I will try to get six of them for my tank, and from poking around it looks like they should leave adult shrimp alone. They are really pretty fish and I would like them anyway so I figure it is a win win.

If they don't kill the entire population quickly that is okay. So long as the population stays down to a minimum.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this?
I will be keeping my current fish/shrimp population in my 10 gallons until the DD's are through a good quarantine period in my main tank. (Reverse quarantine? lol)
As some incentive here is a pic of the 10 gallon rack stand I built yesterday! (Still needs some lighting work though...) Not sure why TPT rotated my pic... ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1484586652958.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	711354  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuva View Post
I caught some shrimps in the wild. Accidentaly, I caught a scud with them.

I can tell now that scuds attack and snack shrimps.
I can assure you, scuds do not eat live shrimp. They co-habitate in perfect harmony. That's why you caught them together. If you do happen to see a scud "on" a live shrimp, it is simply cleaning it of debris. But you will definitely find them ganged up on a dead one. Like vultures to a carcass. I raise them as live food for my fish.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman922 View Post
The persistence of copper is the exact reason I have been avoiding that.
Please correct me if I am wrong but won't heavy hydrogen peroxide dosing also kill off my plants? (Amazon sword, micro sword, anubias var. nana, Java fern, a little DHG, Wisteria, Ludwigia of unknown variety, Crypt. wendeti , and Hygrophila Corymbosa)

I am trying to not just tear the whole thing down and bleach the plants and boil the substrate but if that is my only real option i will. (I am also converting it to a dirted tank if I do that.)

As a note: I am raising the temp of the tank with my heaters to however high they can get it (a 100w and a 200w heater in a 38gal should be able to take it way up.)
Also since I have never had a bare bottomed tank before, how much should i vacuum the 2 10 gallon temp tanks? I have established filters on both tanks so the ammonia levels should be taking off. One tank has some java fern and moss in it, the other has a ton of duckweed in it.
Hydrogen peroxide won't hurt your plants but copper definatly will. The main ingredient in aquatic herbicide is copper.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There was enough debate over whether or not scuds attack shrimps that I did not want to risk it. Some say yes they do others say no. $40+ in shrimp taken down by scuds didn't seem worth the risk. Beyond just the shrimp I was beginning to observe them snacking on my Amazon Swords, so they had to go...

Anyway, I finally got my six scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) yesterday. I haven't seen a scud today, and the tank was crawling with them. I would say that was effective. The DD's should get along well with my adult shrimp, based on my research.
The irony is that I might WANT a scud farm just to feed them to the DD's. Lol.

I think the DD's are one of my favorite fish now. They are really really cool, I love their swimming patterns and coloration. Even without the scud issues I would have wanted them. Incredible little fish.

*Edit/summary*
For anyone looking to get rid of scuds the only way I was able to kill them without pulling out the plants was to use Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario). They did the job quickly, but if you are not experienced with keeping fish I do not suggest them. They can be (and my DD's are being) picky about food, and are easily out competed by other fish. I have a backup plan for them if my primary tank mate's prove too active.

Last edited by fishman922; 01-26-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode