The myth of crystal red shrimps. - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The myth of crystal red shrimps.

Do you keep your crystal red shrimps in full tap water? I can't believe that so much products came out specifically for shrimps up to date but one of the misconceptions that I see is that crs absolutely requires ro water mineralized with good mineral contents in order to properly molt. This is false. My water spits out 6.6 and my shrimps are not only surviving but spawning too as well. The shrimplets are growing. I've since sold my 1000 mg salty shrimp gh+. I feel like the market is what feeds the community with information sometimes.
rellik and rellik like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The thing is everyones tap water is different depending on where you live. Some ppls tap are like yours and is lucky while some of us (like me) live where the water is like liquid rock. Also to add, tap is very uncontrollable as you never what gets into the water supply or if you live in the city, you never know what they will add into the water.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes I agree but it's the risk that most fish keepers take every water change. It's just the fact that tds, gh, kh and ph is glorified to have a certain par or standard within keeping crystal red shrimps. Not to mention linking hundreds of fatalities directly to not using mineralization products. I myself have a colony of pure red line.

Last edited by Krispyplants; 10-29-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Typo

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

Thats interesting being you have PRLs. Whats your setup like?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is my 10 gal that has been running for a while now (more than 1 year). Ada soil, 1 t5 ho and 2 sponge filters. It's on full tap water now. I recently took out almost everything in there to build my 22 gal. Ada soil tap water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	684969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	684977  

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The myth of crystal red shrimps.

I have one cube gallon tank with crs with only use one week age tap water and water change weekly to keep tds down to 275 my ph is 7.4 with no issues. My crs has been breeding like mad and now have about 40+ tiny babies in this tiny tank.

Krispyplants and Krispyplants like this.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, using tap water with a buffering soil can result in the soil becoming exhausted faster.

My tap is 7.2 pH, 3-4 GH and KH, and TDS is around 50 to 60. Without using a remineralizer, I couldn't get cherry shrimp to adults. Could have 10+ berried females, but rarely ever saw a baby shrimp. Had a couple make it to a few weeks old, but none ever survived to adult-hood. The adults also slowly died off.

If I was having that many problems with cherry shrimp, I can't imagine I'd have any better luck with crystal shrimp.
vajcher91 and vajcher91 like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
I agree it might be a bit of a myth. However the majority of people have hard water, and CRS will not do well at all in hard water. Also don't underestimate the buffering capacity of your substrate! I keep my CRS and CBS in pure tap water (TDS 50, gh and kh 0-1, ph 7.8), and my substrate brings the ph down to 7.2. I do add something to up the gh as it helps them to molt and grow better.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
It really does depend on your local water. I'm fortunate to have water that comes out 60 tds, 3 kh, 4 gh, and 7.6 ph. I use blasting sand substrate, so no buffering there, but the driftwood and CO2 bring it down to 7.2. I use nilocg's GH booster to bring GH up to 5-6, and while I know the Ca:Mg ratio is 3:1 instead of 4:1 like the remineralizers do, it hasn't caused any issues yet.

I was also fortunate to find a local breeder on the same water as me, so maybe he did the hard part of getting them adapted to a higher pH than usual. Maybe I'd have better shrimplet survival rates in lower pH water, used a buffering substrate, or did RO with remineralizers, but I feel like trying to maintain those over what I'm doing now would just leave me open to even more instability (or rather, more variables to worry about).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

My water is darn near Rio Negro river water out of the tap, little to no hardness in either gh or kh, with some tannins, especially now with the Alders shedding their leaves in our stream. I have 9 BCS in my 2.5 gallon with satellite tub tank, and I've been adding a little crushed oyster shell to the substrate, in addition to adding a few grains of Epsom salt with every quart of water changed.

I'm sort of loathe to change something that's working. My shrimp are active, and they're growing, the first group of shrimp were darn near Mica ant size, and are now close to adult size ( roughly honeybee sized? ) So they aren't having molting issues. I worry that the substrate might be a little too dirty and mulmy, the tank is over 8 months old and has been used for baby fish growing out and I've not gravel vacuumed in ages. There are hundreds of seed shrimp in this tank.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's all dependent on your water parameters out of the tap, which most peoples' water does not come out suitable.

I'm all for not having to use/buy anything unnecessary, especially in the shrimp side of the hobby with so many products that are extremely overpriced and unnecessary.
Do you even know your GH, KH and TDS? Your params may be suitable, but not everyone's is.

Many breeders in Germany raise and breed their Caridinas in tap water because their water is suitable there.
Not only that, but within reason and gradual changes, living organisms can adapt.

Recommended water params are based off the params where the shrimp are found in nature. Evolution around their natural water chemistry is not made up. Certain mineral levels are necessary.

I never took it as Caridinas require RO and remineralizer, but most people do need them (not to mention other contaminates that may come from tap). If you do use RO, you do need to add minerals.
Opare, Opare, vajcher91 and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajcher91 View Post
The thing is everyones tap water is different depending on where you live. Some ppls tap are like yours and is lucky while some of us (like me) live where the water is like liquid rock. Also to add, tap is very uncontrollable as you never what gets into the water supply or if you live in the city, you never know what they will add into the water.

That's it exactly, my tap water is in the 350+ TDS rating.........
vajcher91 and vajcher91 like this.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Last time that I checked, tds from my tap read 250-300. Never bothered to check gh or kh because who does in fish keeping? Never even heard of testing those two until I started keeping shrimps. Nobody says anything about the wild discus parameter myth advice anymore that really has no correlation to tank bred discus. I'm sure there will be a point and time where these shrimp aren't labeled as being the vulnerable soft water needy inbreds. For me at least.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispyplants View Post
Last time that I checked, tds from my tap read 250-300. Never bothered to check gh or kh because who does in fish keeping? Never even heard of testing those two until I started keeping shrimps. Nobody says anything about the wild discus parameter myth advice anymore that really has no correlation to tank bred discus. I'm sure there will be a point and time where these shrimp aren't labeled as being the vulnerable soft water needy inbreds. For me at least.

possibly, i know i wasn't able to keep shrimp alive for long till I started making sure TDS was below 200 mark.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

TDs will always fluctuate with evaporation. My shrimps started out in the tank with 180 tds ro with salty shrimp. Had they been straight into my tap, I can't say if they'll survive but I do believe that Aquasoil plays an important role.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode