1Likes
  • 2 Post By valthegreat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Old CRS tank not as vibrant as it once was

Hello all!

I have about a 3 year old 2.5 gallon CRS tank that has done very well, but lately I'm not getting the breading I used to, and the shrimp numbers have declined slightly.

It was setup with Aquasoil, and I think that it may be expired.

How would I go about replacing it? Any other tips to renew an old CRS tank?

Whiskey

Current work in progress:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have plants? are the water parameters and temps ok? Maybe its the inbreeding causing a problem...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by valthegreat View Post
Do you have plants? are the water parameters and temps ok? Maybe its the inbreeding causing a problem...
I do have plants! The tank is quite lush, I don't use ferts or anything, just balanced light levels and low light plants.

The perams are okay. I do 2 coffee cups of water change per week, using RO/DI water that is reconstituted for CRS. There are shrimp that are alive and well, but not as many as there were.

Thank you,
Whiskey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 AM
Algae Grower

If everything is fine, I suspect you have not added any new shrimp recently. Maybe the population has declined because of too much inbreeding. Also the current shrimp might have aged and must be towards the end of their life cycle. Try throwing in some new shrimp and new varieties as well! You might spice it up a bit./
Opare and Opare like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by valthegreat View Post
If everything is fine, I suspect you have not added any new shrimp recently. Maybe the population has declined because of too much inbreeding. Also the current shrimp might have aged and must be towards the end of their life cycle. Try throwing in some new shrimp and new varieties as well! You might spice it up a bit./
Fair enough, but CRS have been bread from decades from an original 3 shrimp. Do you think that inbreeding can be a problem at this point?

Whiskey

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

genes are similar...and only one way to know ;-)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I suspect there may be a problem with your tank temps. I keep my tanks at room temperature and they get in the upper 70s, a bit warm for CRS. I loose some of my adults every summer but a few of the shrimplets survive each year and they rebound in the fall. Seeing that you live in CA you may have the same problem. Shrimp only live 1 to 1.5 years.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
I suspect there may be a problem with your tank temps. I keep my tanks at room temperature and they get in the upper 70s, a bit warm for CRS. I loose some of my adults every summer but a few of the shrimplets survive each year and they rebound in the fall. Seeing that you live in CA you may have the same problem. Shrimp only live 1 to 1.5 years.
I have a controller running fans maintaining temp on this tank, plus it's in an air conditioned office. Temp is kept between 74.0 and 74.2 (fans on and off) it can drop to 73.5 before the heater comes on. Great thought though!

Has anyone replaced the Ammano substrate in a running tank like this before? I really think that's the issue, PH has been drifting higher and I think it's just because after the years the substrate has lost it's buffering ability.

Whiskey

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode