Freshwater Clams to cleanup after Goldfish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Freshwater Clams to cleanup after Goldfish?

Hey Chums,

My Goldfish are extremely messy eaters, I can see the food spraying out of their mouths as they chomp. Would some Clams be effective in filtering out all that excess food and thus helping to keep the water quality high?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Freshwater clams really need a tank that is dedicated to them. How big is your goldfish tank and, more importantly, how is it filtered and what's the plant biomass like?

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
They will help with water clarity, however you will most likely need to supplement food unless your aquarium is substantial in size. Clams/mussels filter particulate matter from the water, they do not reduce ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, or other dissolved waste (they actually produce waste like fish). They are animals.

The death of a clam could turn the water putrid very quickly. It could be difficult to notice if the clam died as well....it's not like they float when expired.

|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
MTSs would be better or if you have a large enough tank, corys will eat the dropped food. Barbatus corys like the water a little cooler then most corys and I can see them being a good match for goldfish even so I have never kept them together. Something you might want to check into. Good tank mates for fancy goldfish are dojo loaches or white cloud mountain minnows. Both would go after food the goldfish drop. But my goldfish always cleaned their gravel themselves. They might drop some food but later they will pick up the rocks of the substrate and suck on them getting whatever they missed the first time around. I personally would only add MTSs and nothing else.
Clams would not be on my list of critters to help keep a tank clean.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
MTSs would be better or if you have a large enough tank, corys will eat the dropped food. Barbatus corys like the water a little cooler then most corys and I can see them being a good match for goldfish even so I have never kept them together. Something you might want to check into. Good tank mates for fancy goldfish are dojo loaches or white cloud mountain minnows. Both would go after food the goldfish drop. But my goldfish always cleaned their gravel themselves. They might drop some food but later they will pick up the rocks of the substrate and suck on them getting whatever they missed the first time around. I personally would only add MTSs and nothing else.
Clams would not be on my list of critters to help keep a tank clean.
Good call on the malaysian trumpet snails. Your local Petco or Petsmart will likely give you dozens for free. They know them as pest snails.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok this is all good info, appreciated and noted! Only thing I'll add is the reason I thought of clams is because when the goldfishs eat their sinking pellets, the food sprays out of their mouth in dust clouds. I don't know if they'd ever find it again, I think it gets sown to the 7 winds (seas).. Maybe the filter would just pick it all up and deal with it though, not sure!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

You could get a couple of bamboo shrimp. They are filter shrimp and take small particles that float in the water column. They should be large enough to be safe from most types of goldfish unless you have comets or commons.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
You could get a couple of bamboo shrimp. They are filter shrimp and take small particles that float in the water column. They should be large enough to be safe from most types of goldfish unless you have comets or commons.
Are they bigger than Amanos? The Amanos didn't make it...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes they are. Google Bamboo shrimp or Singapore wood shrimp. They are about 2.5 to 3".

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vampire shrimp is even biger
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Most animals don't eat fish poop. You'll have to clean that out yourself. The goldfish will eat any food in the tank. You don't worry about that.

Clams eat food suspended in the water column like plankton.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode