The Planted Tank Forum banner

API Test Kits

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  max88 
#1 ·
I have many API test Kits and they instruct you to put 5ml in the test tube. They instruct you to fill to the 5 ml white line. I have a scale that measures to the accuracy of 1/100th of a gram.
1 ml of water = 1 gram
Some of my test tubes will measure 5 ml or 5 grams at the white line on the test tubes.
But with some of the test tubes 5 ml or 5 grams is about a 1/8 to 3/16 above the white line.
My question is; If I only fill to the test tube white line, and there is only 4.7 ml in the test tube... Will the test be accurate?

#3 ·
Yeah, it's fine. People have complained to API before about their tubes, and the response was (I'm paraphrasing) "Meh, you're fine. Close enough." I think the volume is less important than the parameters of the water. Which is nice, because it makes it much easier to fill a tube (and not worry about getting it to the line).

#5 ·
I use seachem products so I think that I will switch to the sachem test kits. I was just reading on the sachem site that a if you use prime, and I do... API test kits drive up the PH which causes the ammonia that is bound up by prime, to be released and makes the test a false neg.

#7 ·
Just thought I would share.
Thanks for sharing.

I have the API master kits for fresh water. My biggest complaint is that only 3~5 drops PH, high PH, nitrite test solutions are needed for full 5ml, and they last forever because I don't need to test those parameters very often, while 8~10 drops ammonia, nitrate solutions are needed for full 5ml, and I need to test, especially for nitrate, very often. API is doing this backwards.

Now I can do 1 drop tests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.