The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted Pickle Jar Aquarium?

22K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  moosenart 
#1 ·
Has anybody used a 1 gallon pickle jar for a nano planted aquarium?
If so, what type of filter system did you use?

#10 ·
Idea for a light for the pickle tank, LOL
Sorry, it just sounds funny.
I am thinking about taking a small LED flash light and drilling a hole in the pickle jars lid and mounting it in the lid. Then take an old cell phone plug or one with the right voltage and souldering it to the battery leads. The trick, will be doing it in way that looks good.

#12 ·
Sounds good.
Probably need a few LEDs and widely spaced apart. The light band tends to be quite narrow with LEDs and if it's on the lid, they'll be pretty close to the substrate.
I've got ten individual LEDs on what amounts to a rice bowl-sized tank and it is barely adequate.

#22 ·
you need to start a picture journal of this from the begining man :) I wanna watch
Good idea. I may wait until my new Canon camera comes in to start, so I can get good pictures. That will give me time to get the proper LED light.

I got some Christmas, Flaming and Weeping moss in today, so I have moss! :)

#19 ·
Yeah, I have a couple of 1 gallon pickle jars. They started out as holding pens. One for the guppy fry and one for baby shrimp siphoned out of the bigger tanks during cleaning. Since then, they have become their own "environments" with moss and a bit of java fern. With the moss, no other filtration needed. I just change about 1/3 of the water each week.

#24 ·
I'll guess you can use a pair of alligator clips

Or you can try this other light

And use a small desktop lamp like this one
I always see lamps like this for $3 to $5 at local yard sales , goodwill, thrift stores, etc.

#25 ·
i had the same sort of idea but i used a vase i found, and a pump from a cheap uv purifier that i stuffed with filter floss packed around a tube hooked to a diy co2 and a hanging 25watt cfl been going for around 3 weeks just dwarf hairgrass and 1 bacopa stem not to bad on algea the stuff on the grass was from my big tank i stole the grass to start this mini mutant!

Attachments

#27 ·
I ordered two of these 21 LED lightbulbs.

110 V 21 LED E27 Solar Halogen Marine Spot Light Bulb

I think it will be bright enough for moss to grow.

I need to eat a bunch of pickles now! LOL :drool:

Although... I really do like the "Sun Tea Nano Aquarium! :thumbsup:

#28 ·
Well, I thought I had an empty pickle jar, but could not find it. I am working on emptying the one I have. I put a bunch of the pickles in a baggy to bring to work, LOL While looking for the empty pickle jar I did find a sun tea jug! But the wife put her foot down and said I was not going to scrub the paint off of her tea jug and put sea-weed in it. :mad:

#30 ·
Well, the led lights came it. They are not very bright. I am using one in an adjustable lamp to light up my keybord at night. I am almost through eating all the pickles. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.