The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 55G Low Tech w/Calvus Cichlids - Updated 10-15-15
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
thedood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had two goals with the sponge. One was keeping sand etc out of the filter and two was less frequent maintenance of the canister. I still have some work to do with the filter. Right now I have a black sponge made for the filter in the very bottom and then everything else is floss cartridges made by penn plax. I am ditching the floss but for what I havent decided. I am leaning toward scotch brite pot scrubbers in the middle and nylon pot scrubbers in the top chamber. My understanding is the nylon scrubbies work best in trickle flow systems as wet dry media. I dont know yet what I will do. I figure I have 30 days or so to decide.

One toy I also added was a finnex HC-810M heater controller and alarm. I am finding though that my lights are setting off the alarm for some reason and causing the controller to bounce around power on and off. I had the missus unplug the heater for now. I need to find a solution for this as our house gets really cool in the winter.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome