The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - moving my tank (thinking about substrate options)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
tlef316
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
moving my tank (thinking about substrate options)

I'll be moving my 75 gallon tank in about a week and a half. Currently, its a fairly low tech set up (1.44 WPG T5-HO) with a play sand substrate. 2 eheim 2217's for filtration.

I've gotten some decent plant growth, but have not seen the results i would like. I have not been able to grow certain plants (any red sword i've tried has really struggled, all my stem plants have grown leggy and i'm getting BBA) I am already planning on adding pressurized CO2 and possibly adding a little more light. However, with the move coming up, i figure it couldn't hurt to look at options for substrate.

I don't plan on tossing away the sand. My fish seem to enjoy it and i like the look of it. Is there anything i could put underneath the sand when i move that would help plant growth. I've read a little bit about laterite and flourite, but don't know too much about either. Is this something worth thinking about? I'd really like to try a layer of something on the bottom capper with my play sand.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome