The Planted Tank Forum banner

Diy co2

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 ·
I'm starting to venture into the world of co2 and decided to go the Diy route for starters. I've read and learned a ton so far, but I can't find anything about redirecting the gas to storage at night. Is this even an option? I'm thinking of directing it to a balloon for collection at night then redirecting it to the tank in the morning

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't think the balloon will work. Your going to need a Really really big balloon. The yeast will continue to produce co2 so you will need an ever increasing storage unit.Also you will have the issue of low pressure. You won't have enough to push the co2 through a diffuser or air stone or whatever you use to diffuse it.I have yet to hear of anyone storing diy co2.I wouldn't worry about storing it. It is cheap to run diy co2

#3 ·
It would be an interesting test. The balloon would have to be flexible enough to freely expand under the low pressure of the yeast production. Then strong enough to force the CO2 into the tank when you switch it over in the morning.

In general, the yeast production method does not build up excess CO2 in the tank overnight to the point of poisoning the fish, but just a little excess to give the plants a boost in the morning.

Other option:
An older style of diffusion included an upside-down bowl shaped thing above the CO2 outlet. CO2 that does not diffuse into the water bubbles up and is trapped by the bowl. Water movement under the bowl slowly picks up this CO2.

Other option:
Put the yeast on top of the light, where it is warm. During the day, the little bit of added heat might make the yeast a bit more productive. When the light goes out it cools off.
I have no idea if the difference in temperature is enough to affect production. (I suppose this depends on the fixture) I am also aware that the timing of increasing and reducing production from the light is not the same as what it should be- CO2 ought to come on ahead of the light, and can be turned off before lights out.

I think the best way to help out the yeast system is to have a really good way to diffuse the CO2 into the water.

#4 ·
Goat:

It's not really an issue of wasting the co2, it's more of a issue of not wanting something leaking co2 in my room as I sleep.

Diana:

Thank you for your input, you have given me many more things to consider!

As for my setup I think it is humming along beautifully. My diy bubble counter is ticking away at about 1 bubble per second while I believe I rigged my diy defuser for small enough bubbles. From there they are kicked back down from my HOB filter and kicked out by my fluval 206 spray bar!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ah ok. I can understand that. I don't think you have anything to worry about though. Most of the co2 will dissolve into the tank and what doesn't I really don't see being a hazard. I have 3 diy systems split between 2 tanks and haven't had problems. I would think your air conditioning system would cycle the air enough to make it not harmful unless this room has no circulation and stagnant air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.