Looking for an AGA branch or aquatic plant society to join - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for an AGA branch or aquatic plant society to join

Hi,

I have been keeping planted tanks and dabbling in aquascaping for the last three years. I would like to join a society or a club to exchange ideas, plants and for a mentor who can guide me how to design better aquascapes. As somebody with no art background, I could really use some help. My goal is to compete in regional aquascaping contests in the next year.

Chicago Aquatic Plant Society is a great org but its too far for me to attend monthly meetings or meet and talk with members regularly.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

Where in WI are you? To my knowledge WI doesnt have a group dedicated to aquascaping/planted tanks. I'm from Milwaukee and also a CAPS member but only go down to Chicago once in awhile when I can for meetings/events.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Im from sheboygan and met a few CAPS members at chicago aquatic experience and was excited and a little bit jealous of the activities they do.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobo View Post
Hi Im from sheboygan and met a few CAPS members at chicago aquatic experience and was excited and a little bit jealous of the activities they do.
Yeah. I wished there was a group like what they do. Sadly Wisconsin isn't a planted tank enthusiasts state. Everyone is more of a fish person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

I'm also from Wisconsin and would love to attend club meets. Sad to hear closest is Chicago
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did a little bit of research and found that the Madison Aquatic club is foraying more and more into planted tanks with the highlight being that they have an AGA sponsored aquascaping contest at the Madison gardening expo. Doesnt help me a lot since Madison is as far as Chicago. Wish GB or MKE planted tank folks would get together and create a community.

Even my town has an aquarium club with most folks interested in breeding varieties of cichlids. But I believe the fascination with fishes as the focal piece in an aquarium is on its way out. MKE has quite a few no. of LFS's who keep an elaborate stock of plants and equipment. Where are the people who are buying these?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobo View Post
I did a little bit of research and found that the Madison Aquatic club is foraying more and more into planted tanks with the highlight being that they have an AGA sponsored aquascaping contest at the Madison gardening expo. Doesnt help me a lot since Madison is as far as Chicago. Wish GB or MKE planted tank folks would get together and create a community.

Even my town has an aquarium club with most folks interested in breeding varieties of cichlids. But I believe the fascination with fishes as the focal piece in an aquarium is on its way out. MKE has quite a few no. of LFS's who keep an elaborate stock of plants and equipment. Where are the people who are buying these?
I know the guys who run the Madison group and participated in last year's aquascape event. They've recently started having more interest in planted tanks but meetings are heavily fish related still. Haven't heard of any plant related talks. They do have a program where they trade in plants for club points and win rewards. As for MKE the only LFS I see that carried a decent variety of plant is Aquatics Unlimited. Also scaping supplies and materials. I myself buy online. Tools/hardscape from various business and plants from FB groups from trusted hobbyist and trusted businesses.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

I've heard the mke aquarium group maybe setting up an aquascape/planted tank event. Not sure though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode