The Planted Tank Forum banner

Post Your Topsoil Full Tank Shots

5K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  sewingalot 
#1 ·
I would like to see some pics of members who have the mineralized topsoil for their substrate.

Give a small list of what plants you have and what luck you have had with them.

Get to shooting those pics and posting them!

I will go get some pics of my own

#6 · (Edited)

10 gallon MS, Ember tetra tank. Full of fast growing plants, mayaca, hygros, stargrass, etc

#18 ·
I fixed it, Torpedo. Can you see it now?

#8 ·
50g breeder, 4x39 TEK, CO2.

Eleocharis sp, HC, anubias nana petite, java ferns, rotala macrandra, couple of crypts. Growing out some rotala Araguaia and Goias in it currently, both doing great.

75g, 4x54 T5, CO2.

Too many plants to list, it is a collectoritis tank. ;)

#20 ·

there is mine.. no laughing. it isn't what some of you have.. but I am working on it. I am actually getting ready to switch over to 3m colorquartz sand in the next few weeks.

I am still having some trouble with brown algae on leaves.. the kind that rubs off easily. The P stellatus broad leaf on the left needs a trim and there is some A reneckii floating to the left, sorry ;)

#22 ·
I only supplement traces of potassium.

20-30% water changes every other week or so, top off in between. This is the single biggest plus of mineralized soil tanks for me - I don't get algae blooms by missing a dosing schedule or required huge water change, as there aren't any.

Tiny sections of Araguaia and Goias in that first pic. The Araguaia is the tall thin stems you see on left side (only 2 stems, and it is a small rotala). Goias is dead center, it creeps on the substrate so is hiding in/just behind the HC carpet.

#26 ·
Why would anyone get an algae bloom due to missing a dosing schedule?

Why is it that water changes are seen as an export of the nutrients we dose only. I wouldn't think this is overly complicated. If you want to do less water changes dose less. That way any "buildup" is extended. Better yet use less light and have less demand for nutrients.

I see the biggest plus of a mineralized soil whether it be ADA, soil, wc, etc, would be that if you do miss a dosing schedule you have a backup in the soil. Now you have nutrients in both locations. Attributing algae to either/or should be a myth that should be dead by now.

#29 ·
Algae is caused by the imbalance of nutrients in a system. That's no myth. I'd be very interested in a pm of any sites that attempt to debunk it, though, as any and every algae ID and source guide I have ever read relates them to nutrient imbalances - as does my personal and horrid experience with attempting EI dosing (I'm pretty consistent for messing up the schedule, life intrudes). ;)

#27 ·
I am curious..For those of you doing minerlaized soil as opposed to dosing the WC,are you seeing more or less "ROOT" growth from the stem's of the stem plants,or the same?

Kevin

#33 ·
that's UG. I have some Downoi in the very front center rock grouping and a bit on the sides, but the rest is UG.

the journal is in the link below :)

*by the way I bought my mineralized soil from torpedobarb, so if the tank does well you can partially blame him! (if it does horribly, you can totally blame him haha)

#34 ·
...*by the way I bought my mineralized soil from torpedobarb, so if the tank does well you can partially blame him! (if it does horribly, you can totally blame him haha)
That is frakken hilarious :) Although I shouldn't laugh as the soil that I end up mineralizing could end up bombing on me too :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.