GASA membership - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
GASA membership

Was thinking of becoming a member of the greater Seattle aquarium society. Because of my work schedule I would not be able to attend the monthly meetings, is it required to attend them to become a member

I used to keep an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't think attending the monthly meetings are required to be a member, since the meetings are mainly just learning/teaching events (guest speaker teaches) as well as a auction at the end of events. Non-members can even attend the meetings. Although I am not a member so I am not 100% certain.

You can shoot Cory at Aquarium Co-op a email and ask him if you don't get a definitive answer. He's been a big member with GSAS for a long time. His email is [email protected] or you can contact him through his website or Facebook.

By the way starfire, planning on doing a RAOK trim anytime soon? I wouldn't mind some cheap plants. I am in WA too, but Burlington is still really far so shipping is good haha.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
No plans on a trim I have been having issues with my co2 so my plants have not fared well lately. Where in Washington are you located if you don't mind my asking.

I used to keep an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire12 View Post
Was thinking of becoming a member of the greater Seattle aquarium society. Because of my work schedule I would not be able to attend the monthly meetings, is it required to attend them to become a member
No, you don't have to attend the meetings to become a member but I look forward to the meeting every month. Highly recommend, you meet great like minded folks, good talks and awesome auction at the end where everything is a steal. You will never find some of the stuff in stores.

Cheers,
Hari

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

You don't have to attend meetings. There are some meetings not on week days too. Like the picnic in the summer and the big general auction.

When speakers allow it, talks are taped and can be watched online by members. There are also local stores which are sponsors of the club and offer discounts as well.

There is also the airstone which is an email list that is pretty active, not as much during the summer. But there are many benefits to joining the club. For many years I've stated that it's the best money I've spent on aquarium related stuff each year by far.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

...re: videotaped talks,

the membership fee is worth it just to get access to the yearly home show video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Starfire,

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is a regional club open to all WA state residents (or anyone to attends a meeting even from BC or out of state). Our regular meetings are on the 2nd Tuesday of the month September through June on the Seattle Pacific University campus. We also have our annual auction in April on a Saturday and a couple times a year our guest speakers will do a 'Members Only' additional talk, usually on the weekends somewhere in the Seattle area.

If the speaker allows it we video record the talks they present for our members; the last few years have been done in HD. We have had some excellent guest speakers for plants including Tom Barr, Karen Randall (AGA), and Christel Kasselmann from Germany. We have another excellent plant speaker from Europe coming up in the spring of 2016 and this fall a speaker on LED lighting is our October speaker. Other excellent internationally known speakers have been: Ian Fuller (UK; Corydoras), Ad Konings (African cichlids), Gary Lange (Rainbowfish), Dick Au (Discus), Barbie Fiorentino (Plecos), Oliver Lucanus (Canada; South American biotopes), Ghazanfar Ghori (GWAPA; Cryptocorynes), Kris Weinhold (GWAPA; Aquascaping), Greg Sage (exotic livebearers), Ted Judy (Pelvicachromis), Mike Wise (Apistogrammas), and many more.

If you have additional questions please feel free to PM me.

-Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire12 View Post
Christel Kasselmann @ GSAS Fall 2012

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

The talk I gave in June was uploaded yesterday. Here is a sample of what a talk would be like. Although dub in a national speaker instead of me. However i did make my talk available to anyone so this is why we can show it to non members as well as I don't make a living from giving talks.

Mini Ponds - Tropical Fish Outdoors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode