Best place to get plants??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best place to get plants???

SO im realllly knew to the whole planted tank thing and have a fairly limited suply of plants (although my lace java fern was pearling last night )
im mainly looking for Blyxa japonica and some hygrophila.
so reallly just some longish carpet and some tall background haha.
Any one looking to sell/give away some or know a good place to get them around Seattle?
thanks for any help!!!
Augustw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Become a member of your local plant club (GSAS?). You might find some from the club members.

http://www.gsas.org/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sounds good, except for the whole not having a car or license yet and living pretty far from seattle haha
Any other suggestions? my LFS is just sad...i wont support them at all they are horrid. plus ZERO plants :/

This whole planted tank thing is addicting...and i like it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
You friendly neighborhood swap 'n shop is good. Get plants from all over, pretty much any species you can imagine. Try and go to the next GSAS meeting if you can, it a live food workshop

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you ever make it into Seattle, I can give you hygrophila and Blyxa Japonica.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
The Fish Store on roosevelt in seattle is a great place to get plants, especially hygrophila... pretty much they buy or take plants from hobbyists that feel guilty throwing them away or the like and that way they usually end up with a higher variety of plants than most places... A Place for Pets in Burien is pretty good too.

I work at midway pet and we usually have a decent selection and a lower price (have to given the target area), haven't been able to get blyxa in forever other than aubertii, last bunch of japonica I got was frozen solid when it came in... how this happens I just don't get it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Clarks feed and Seed in Bellingham has the best plant selection for a LFS in WA.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

I kind of have a preference for A Place for Pets. Their plants seem to be more reasonably priced than other places and they seem to have a good variety. The Fish Store seems to have a decent selection of plants also, but they are kind of pricey. If you want to grow a gazillion plants than tissue cultured plants at Sierra Pets in Renton is the way to go.

If you make it into Seattle, I can give you a variety of plants (still suffering from Collectoritis and MTS). I don't know what people do with all their plants, but I'm sure that a lot of them must end up being composted. If you are looking for a hard to find, or uncommon plant, then I prefer buying plants from Swap n Shop here on TPT.

Usually the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society has mini-auctions at the meetings. Although I don't believe there will be an auction the next meeting, there will be a free table so I've heard. Tell me when you make it into Seattle, and I can leave a variety of plants out for you...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

AWESOME!!! you rock ukigumo!!!!

This whole planted tank thing is addicting...and i like it....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Nerd Alert.

I think there is going to be a mini-auction next meeting. I know its going to be the live-food workshop, but I was talking to Roy before I left last meeting and he said Yes. I don't know but thats what I hear.

BTW I am going to the next meeting

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds like there will be one then... I thought I saw something in airstone, but I could be wrong, or maybe the poster was wrong. Roy should know.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Nerd Alert.

That airstone post was pretty straight forward and Meredith knows a lot too....I'll just assume there is no auction oh well, I guess I can still bring a gallon pack of worms since its about live food.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode