*FREE Presentation* Fish Collecting in Peru @GSAS; January 9th - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
*FREE Presentation* Fish Collecting in Peru @GSAS; January 9th

*FREE Presentation* Fish Collecting in Peru hosted by Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) - Jan 9th

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased pleased to announce our January 9th GSAS speaker is our very own Dean Tweeddale. Dean has been a GSAS member since the 1980's. During his time as a member he was an early breeder of Discus as well as many Corydoras and Apistogramma species. Currently in his fish room he is breeding German Blue Rams, Angels, Discus, Corydoras, and "L-series" Ancistrus. He will be giving a talk on his trip last year to Amazon in Peru where he collected several fish species.

Dean writes:
Quote:
Iíve been keeping fish in some form or other for about 53 years. I started with four common guppies that I had to keep in the toilet bowl for the first day and night. It was lucky we had a second bathroom in the house. They of course produced more guppies and by the time I was 13 I was trading or selling guppies back to the pet stores and had 7-10 tanks if you included the ones kept hidden from parental view under the stands. I joined GSAS in the early 80ís and shortly after created my first fishroom. Now a few fishrooms later Iím keeping about 50 tanks and have one weakness when it comes to keeping fish. You see Iím not just happy having a tank full of nice looking fish and looking at them. I must figure out how to condition them to spawn and reproduce. That is my fish keeping challenge. I couldnít even begin to talk about the all fish that Iíve spawned, I probably have forgotten more of them that I can remember. But it has been just about everyone that I've set out to reproduce. The fish collecting trip to the Amazon was my first collecting trip and a lifelong dream.
The presentation, which is open to the public, will be Tuesday, January 9th, 2017 at 7:30 PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

After the meeting, join us for our monthly auction and help to support the club that brings us all our these outstanding speakers.

Guests are welcome; no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building
No furry or feathered pets
Go to Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (https://www.gsas.org/) for more information and directions

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

The GSAS meeting is next Tuesday. Please come and support one of our own members doing a presentation on their collection trip to Amazon last summer. Hope to see you there!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
No furry or feathered pets
Now I'm imagining someone just sitting there with an arapaima tank in his lap casually talking to his fish to show it where it came from. Is this going to be livestreamed or at least have a copy of his slides somewhere? I've seen tours of Dean's fishrooms and they look absolutely amazing, would love to hear him talk but I'm on the other side of the country.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @JusticeBeaver,

GSAS does video record (in HD) the various presentations done by our guest speakers if they allow it. It is up to the speakers if we are allowed to stream the videos to the public or not....we never know. I will certainly pass on your request to him.

Roy_________

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

Just a reminder that the GSAS Meeting is tomorrow evening. Every wanted to do fish collecting on the Amazon? Hear about the adventure one of our own GSAS members had.

Wonder what's coming up this spring at GSAS? Check out the schedule of upcoming talks especially May and June. The father of African cichlids, Ad Konings will speak in May. Mark it on your calendars!

In June, noted rainbowfish explorer/collector as well as breeder will be doing a new talk on his latest trip to Papua....don't miss it!

Roy_________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode