• 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 2 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
NOVA-Area Stone/Rock Suppliers

Anyone in the metro DC area have preferred stone/rock suppliers?

Not necessarily aquarium shops but landscape suppliers, as well.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Anyone in the metro DC area have preferred stone/rock suppliers?

Not necessarily aquarium shops but landscape suppliers, as well.
We are on the same wavelength- I was posting about searching for rock just now as well.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
The Stone Store.
Near BWI & House of Tropicals.
Two for one trip!

Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Oooh, good call, @Maryland Guppy. Thanks.

I'll make it an LFS trip as well as a go-find-some-weird-rocks trip.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Let me know your trip date.

I have some granite that is locally collected, I'd like to pass on to another.

Stone Store has lava rock and all sorts sold by the pound.
They are not cheap but for the quantities for an aquarium it is a win!

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was at the stone store about 3 months ago. I went there thinking I was going to find the most amazing aquarium rock supplier ever. It was not that good, but they are pretty decent. They have LARGE pieces of lava rock (like 1 to 1.5 feet across) and they have a goodly supply of feather stone which at the time I had no idea what to do with but have since concluded its an ideal stone to use as a filler when trying to build up height. They also have some zebra stone and a lot of slate / slate like rocks that are flat on parallel sides. And river stone, a lot of river stone. A couple of other type of rocks but that was about it. You won't find dragon stone or seiryu stone there or many of the other more interesting types of aquarium stone.

They do sell some gravel that is literally called aquarium gravel. It is dark gray and about 5-8mm across in one dimension and about 2-3mm across in the other dimension (generally). Thus its a bit too large to be ideal for our purposes but I could see using it as filler or as part of a mix for an inert substrate.

If anyone knows of any other landscape suppliers that sell stone like what we are looking for I am definitely interested.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

There are dozens of places throughout the metro area. So many that it was tough for me to know where to start. Figured it'd be best to ask here first.

I'm probably going to pick up some large-ish smooth river rock for a tank I'm putting together for a friend. Really, it'll be a tank I take care of because I'm in the area frequently. Neon Blue Gobies, lots of smooth stone with tons of aufwuchs growth, some snails, maybe loaches. Bonus: I don't have to pay for anything!
minorhero and Streetwise like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The freedom tank.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Irwin Stone is good, too: https://www.irwinstone.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode