Urgent! How do I fix this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
vlh

PTrader: (0/0%)
Urgent! How do I fix this?

I have an old 55gal tank. It has a 3/8 inch piece of glass that is at the top of the center of the tank for supporting. It just cracked from the heat of one of the lights. THe crack is "V" shaped and is complete separating the glass into two pieces. Can this be fixed, or do I need to get out the big wet-vac (as a precaution) until I can get a new tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
First lower the water level to reduce the pressure on the glass.

IMO you can do two things:

Remove the cracked glass by cutting the silicone. Clean up the silicone with a razor blade. Get a new glass from your local glass shop. Silicone it back in, and let it dry for 2 or 3 days before filling up the tank again.

Or, you could just silicone another piece of glass over/under the cracked glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
vlh

I have removed about 30% of the water and have clamps across the top. Unfortunately I can't find an open glass shop at this time on a Sat of a holiday weekend....isn't this always the case. Tuesday is the soonest I can get a replacement piece of glass. Do you think the claps will work until then? I will keep the water level low, I can reduce more if needed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You should be okay, as long as the silicone seams of the tank are in good shape and you leave the water level low.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
vlh

Thank You for your quick response.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
are you putting large pieces of wood under th clamps... so that preasure is evenly distrubuted.. to larger surfaces...

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
vlh

My engineer husband has rigged up a wooden clamp that does distribute the preasure evenly. Thank you for asking. I feel that it is secure at this point. Tuesday morning I will be calling some glass shops to get a replacement to put in there and will get it fixed. I was certainly in a panic earlier. Feeling much calmer at this time. At least it happened when I was home and sitting right next to it to hear the popping noise. The lamp that we were using as a temporary fix until I get my florescent lights got too close to the glass and it got hot, expanded, and cracked. No more temporary fixes, my lights should be here next week.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Wow, that's the first time that I've heard of a glass aquarium cracking under heat (I've heard and witness it with acrylic before). Hope that it will hold until you can get a replacement.

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode