how to keep snails from destroying my plants..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question how to keep snails from destroying my plants.....

will putting orange slices, lettuce, zuchinni, etc... in my tank keep my snails from eating up the plants? does anyone have any other ideas of how to have both snails and live plants??
thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 PM

Snails are good, but to keep them in check I recommend you get a couple of clown loaches. The snails and the loaches will find a balance, and will in time give a hidden presence of the snails instead of a tank that is overrun by infernal snails. You can try the method that you suggested but I believe that a proactive approach will work for you.

Paul
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:36 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
And if you have a tank that's too small for clown loaches ... say a 29 gallon ... what should you do?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can try snail a cide but you may end up with a lot of dead snails that you need to suck up to get rid of amonia spike.
Inverds including snails and scaless fish DO NOT LIKE THIS
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

How many snails are we talking about here?

Depending on the type of snail you have you can either smash them against the glass or when you feed the lettuce just wait for them to accumulate on the leaf and then throw them away.

I perfer the natural method of snail eating fish, most loaches will eat snails, choose one that is the appropriate size for your tank.

Are you sure it is the snails that are eating your plants?

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Most of the common little snails that I have come across don't damage plants a lot, they are more after detritus, algae, dead leaves etc. It's more of a nuisance and visually unappealing to see all those little brown dots.

As discussed many times, there are smaller loaches like zebra loaches that would fit in a tank too small for clown loaches.

If you put veggies etc in your tank they will just multiply much quicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do not fear!
You can get other loach like Yoyo Loach... max. size is only 5"

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
As WP said, most of the smaller snails will not harm your plants (I have lots of ramshorns in my tanks, which does nothing other than clean the glass and leaves of algae all day). They don't look too aesthetic (especially at nights when the lights are out and they cover the glass...).

I would not use snail a cide or any chemicals for that matter to get rid of them (waste of money and it isn't so effective). Stick with the smaller varieties of loaches to help you rid of them. One variety that I can think of which stays small is the dwarf chain loach. They are rather small as loaches grow (less than half the size of a yoyo), and will even school for you. Finding them might be a problem, but definitely worth the efforts (my LFS has them regularly in stock).

Eric

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
you could always just stick a peice of lettace in there over night and then in the morning before the lights came on removed the lettace with all the snails on it. thats what I do to help keep the population down if a group of loachs isnt feesable
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Red face i have some ramshorn snails and some bigger gold ones....

i don't have the heart to smash them, and i do want them in my tank. i just want to keep them off the plants. i have watched them devour the plants, so i am pretty sure they are the guilty parties. i guess it's a catch 22 situation then....are they really good aquarium cleaners though??
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Works really well for me. I have a good population, and if I need/want to bring it down, I squish them for my Apistos.

Eric

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Freshwater dwarf puffers.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

But then they have a tendency to rough up plants too.

Del Goins

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:12 PM

I just let the snails (small ramshorn and some kind of pond snail...types that don't eat plants) run wild...didn't keep them in check or anything. Eventually, they overpopulated the tank and began to die off. Somehow, the population now remains balanced. Maybe they slow down reproduction once they've saturated a body of water...or something... *shrug*

^iMp^

Last edited by ^iMp^; 09-06-2004 at 12:18 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
Usally they will breed enough untill they eat every possible peice of algae (except hair algae and the such) and then there population becomes stable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode