Alternative to potasium permanganate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alternative to potasium permanganate

Title says it all. I ran out and was wondering if there are viable alternatives for pest removal in new plants. Anyone tried hydrogen peroxide?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Title says it all. I ran out and was wondering if there are viable alternatives for pest removal in new plants. Anyone tried hydrogen peroxide?

Tom
I've tried a 19:1 dilution of bleach. Just dip the plants in there for 30 seconds. It took care of my snail problems.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 AM

Rolo, when people mention bleach, do they mean like regular Clorox bleach at laundry section ? Also, do you need to rinse them with Dechlor before placing them back in the tank?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Tom
Head to walmart and in their fish aisle they have Jungle Clear Water. Its a strong solution of pp that you can use as a stock. Before I got a hold of lab-grade stuff, I would squirt the bottle into a 5 g bucket of water until it was a deep purple. I've heard that bleach can work well, but I wouldn't want to risk it since you have to be careful about timing and rinsing with dechlor water.

Re-boot!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
Rolo, when people mention bleach, do they mean like regular Clorox bleach at laundry section ? Also, do you need to rinse them with Dechlor before placing them back in the tank?
I just used the most simple, plain bleach I could find. Nothing with added detergents, fragences, etc. I rinsed the plants off very well with tap water, and dechlored the tank, not really the plants themsleves. I did all this before I added fish so I don't know how it would affect them.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
I would suggest to soak them in a bucket with extra dechlor after the bleach to remove as much bleach as possible before it goes back in the tank. A tiny bit of bleach will kill, if not stress our your fish a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:12 PM

Why not soak the plants in a mixture of alum (aluminum sulfate) and water? Alum can be purchased at most grocery stores in the spice section.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Planted Member

For snails, Alum is the best solution. 2 - 4 hours kills snails - overnight kills snails and eggs.
If you use bleach, rinse well under the tap, and then into a pail with a 2X or 3X dose of Tap Water Conditioner before introducing into the tank. BTW, stick your hands into the pail as well. They will probably have bleach on them as well.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:06 PM

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've *never*, in years of keeping and growing plants, bleached or "dipped" plants in anything.

I just rinse them off really well in 25-26C tap water and visually check for snails or snail eggs.

I've never had anything nasty transferred into my tanks via plants. Like I said, maybe I'm just lucky. It just seems strange to dip a plant into a caustic brew of any type .

Also, I've always had clown loaches so any snails that did sneak by never had a chance!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Jungle Product is a 3% solution for the record, a few ounces of lab grade PP is less than a bottle of the Jungle and will last you forever.

opening soon
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have used Aquatronic's "Lime It" and have always had good results.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Algae Grower

Aquatronics is out of business and no longer makes anything.
http://www.azgardens.com/newchemi2.php
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
YIKES!

I better get down to the LFS and pick up what they have left on the shelves!

Shame about Aquatronics! They seemed to offer a great line of fish medications.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 PM

Someone mentioned using alum to help rid snails off plants. Can someone tell me how much to use of alum and water mix. Thanks
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
http://www.aquabotanic.com/disinfect.htm That thread will give you pretty much what you need to know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode