Refrigerated Live Worms? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Refrigerated Live Worms?

Will the refrigerated live worms that you can get from an LFS live in a 5 gallon with just water in it? I think theyre called bloodworms? The ones I have now I have to keep in the fridge but I never asked if I could keep them in an aquarium to themselves. If so, is there anything I need to do to the water to keep them alive?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You'll probably want to keep them refridgerated as the cold keeps them from developing. Otherwise you'll end up with a house full of midges.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich
midges = worm "fry"?

--cich

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm betting they are black worms and not blood worms.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I'm betting they are black worms and not blood worms.
That would make more sense. I've only ever seen frozen bloodworms in the store (though I used to catch them from a stream when I was a kid).

Cich,
Midges = annoying, flying insect (a non-biting relative of the misquito)

óBill

|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Yup, they're definitely not bloodworms, but rather blackworms. They're usually bagged in bags by the pound and shipped to your LFS, where they're rinsed a few times and placed in the fridge for sale.

They can definitely be kept in a tank by themselves, especially if there's a bottom substrate (where they'll survive, perhaps breed, and become a source of food for any fish in the tank).

A word of caution if you plan on using this type of livefood. They're collected in less than ideal conditions and are a source of "bugs". It's safer to feed your fish bloodworms instead, which are actually just fly midges. If you go ahead and pick up some blackworms, it's best if you thorough clean them and keep them in the fridge (clean them a few times daily) for a week before feeding them to your fish.

Eric

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
My rams absolutely love them. They hardly eat pellet food anymore unless I force it on them. Where can I buy live bloodworms? I dont think my lfs carries them. I guess I could take on the extra chore of doing some extra cleaning to keep blackworms. Is there a place out there that is dedicated to live food sales?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisX
My rams absolutely love them. They hardly eat pellet food anymore unless I force it on them. Where can I buy live bloodworms? I dont think my lfs carries them. I guess I could take on the extra chore of doing some extra cleaning to keep blackworms. Is there a place out there that is dedicated to live food sales?
I get mine from aquaticfoods.com. Taken strictly from their site: "Our California Blackworms ( BLACKWORMS ARE NOT TUBIFEX )are raised in controlled conditions and are free of parasites and pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria."
They have a great page explaining the means they take to make their blackworms safe. I have been feeding my pufferfish these for awhile, as well as some of my other fish. I have read reports of discus breeders using these worms for years and not having a problem. Of course I can't tell you about anybody elses worms, they could have been raised in a factory runoff ditch like IBN suggested. Most likely the LFS is just getting the worms from aquaticfoods, so it might be cheaper/more convienent to just keep supporting your LFS. Of course with your LFS you're not quite sure how long they have been sitting on the shelf unless they date them.

As for live bloodworms, I've heard just to stick a bucket outside, but then you would have to filter through all the other bugs. I haven't found a place that can send me live bloodworms yet, but if anybody knows of one, or finds a place, please let me know.
Matt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Eww... I hope you're talking about your 2nd refrigerator...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM

that reminds me of one time when my lfs had live bloodworms in little sealed clear plastic containers.

I bought a couple of the containers, took them home and put them in the fridge as advised...

Then the wife came home and went to the fridge to get a drink .

She was definately NOT amused!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Hikari has bloodworms which come suspended in some sort of liquid which keeps them alive, but I'm not quite sure how you would be able to pick some up (ask your LFS to order, since I'm pretty sure they don't sell to hobbyists?). I'm sure it's not cheap however, and not really worth the effort. Feeding frozen bloodworms would be more convenient and nutrient-wise, they'll be comparable.

For the blackworms, I used 1 gallon jugs (top cut off) when I used them for conditioning. Rubber flat pans also works extremely well if you're dealing with larger quantities of worms (5 lbs.) and have the space.

Eric

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
Feeding frozen bloodworms would be more convenient and nutrient-wise, they'll be comparable.
Unfortunately in my situation if the food doesn't move, the dwarf puffers don't want it.

Matt
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

One of the many reasons why I tend to steer clear of fish that would require live food (for dwarf puffers, it's also due to my shrimp population).

BTW, I've seen dwarf puffers consume frozen brine shrimps before (this was at Octopus Garden in Albany). Probably just takes a lot of patience and some hungry fish (reminds me of trying to wean some of the marine butterflies/angels off their normal fares).

Eric

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
One of the many reasons why I tend to steer clear of fish that would require live food (for dwarf puffers, it's also due to my shrimp population).
Heh, I wish the would eat shrimp! Would make my life easier. I have 2 dwarf puffers in a 10g with 25 ghost shrimp. :/ The only time the puffers are anywhere near agressive towards the ghost shrimp is if they think the ghost shrimp is eating something they want.

Matt
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

LOL, almost makes me want to test out a couple of dwarf puffers in my own tanks. Only problem is that I have shrimps which are more endearing than those ghost shrimps.

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode