Beat the algae with bleach, now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beat the algae with bleach, now what?

Ok well my plants after about 3 weeks stopped growing, espically the hygro. I did a trimming because it was growing about an inch a day! and after my last trimming it just stopped cold. along with all the other plants. I had not been dosing with my flourish because everything was growing well, except my dwarf sag, still can't growth with that plant! Then algae started blooming, i let it go for about 2 weeks with a 4 day blackout, no dice still stayed tough so i gave most of the plants a bleach bath which worked much better than i had initially suspected. The hair algae has all but dissapeared now (3 days later) and im wondering what my course of action should be. Ive been reading up on various websites as well as here and i believe that im missing pretty much every macronutrient except phosphate (which comes from food correct?) My nitrate reading was 1.5 ish last time i checked which i understand is quite low? as well as phosphate being 0, of course i have phosgaurd in my filter now cause it was at, 20 but im going to get a new filtermedia tomorrow. I thought about purchasing some greg watson pmdd mix, because it looks like it can satisfy all the micro as well as macro nutrients in one easy dosing (which is important because its my mom's tank and im leaving it to her devises in about 3 weeks ) ) Would it be wise to purchase this and do you think it would help restore some growth to my plants before the algae comes back?
Thanks
Chris

(edit) its a 25gal with a 55w ahsupply light, as well as diy co2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 12:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am having the same problem and I am about to try the PMDD I am hoping to get good results so I am optimistic about it. Did you happen to check out the planted tank calculator? http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

It helps with dosing and gives you a CO2 reading well. I love it. I am hoping I can get this to actually work for me.

I think you should go for it. I am!

-Joel
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Read my FAQ. I cover the basics of planted tank nutrition there. It's all about balance. If you bomb the tank with light but don't have the other nutrients balanced you are going to get algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode