ich and plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ich and plants

Hello,
I just recently noticed ich on one of my fish. In the past when I had to deal with ich I used a combination of raised temp and salt, but since this tank contains plants Im afraid of the effects of such a treatment. Does anybody have any ideas about treating ich in a way that would be safe for my plants? Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
you _need_ a quarantine tank

10 gallon tank - 5 -10 bucks
small pump + tubing and air stone - 10 bucks (if you don't already have this stuff)
easily broken down and stored when not in use
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I do have a quarantine tank, and I believe I asked about ich, not your opinion on quarantine tanks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Mike, raising the temperature for a couple of days doesn't hurt most plants, I would consider it safe. I have never used salt, I suppose the plant damage would be depending on the concentration. There are many medications for ich available, and if I remember correctly they usually don't affect plants, but might be dangerous for invertebraes, like shrimps and snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
I treated ich in one of my planted tanks awhile ago with no side effects, but beware i think most of the meds will harm inverts. as for raising the temp - it shortens the life cycle. i have successfully treated ich using salt, raised temp, and a diatom filter.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I turned my tank temp up to 80-82 for about 3 weeks and fed my fish plenty of freeze dried blood worms. I also did lots of water changes. My Cardinals and neons were absolutely covered with Ich but they all survived.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies. I really dont want to use commercial meds unless I absolutely must, I also have many inverts in the tank that I dont want to sacrifice. To really kill the ich I would need to keep the tank up to at least 86 and keep it there for three weeks. The plants I keep are java fern, anubias, crypts, saggitaria, and hornwort. Do you think that these plants would survive three weeks with the temp raised that high? I would also like to lightly salt the tank at a rate of a teaspoon per five gallons if possible, or would this harm the plants enough to kill them? I dont mind if they stop growing or sustain some damage, just as long as they dont completely die off and eventually grow back. Thanks for your help
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 02:18 AM

Mike, I had Crypt, Anubias, Java Fern and Hornwort grew at 84F before w/o a problem. I didn't have Sagitaria in that tank though. Some of the Crypt's leaves melted but most survived and grew nicely. Anubias and Java Fern don't seem to mind at all. So I doubt raising the temp to 86 would kill them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Mike, I just got finished treating for ich in a planted tank by raising the temp to 86 degrees for two weeks and adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons after ever water change for 3 weeks with great results, no plant or fish loss.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 03:40 AM

im sure this is nothing new, but rapid temp changes in the tank can cause ich. water changes are usually the cause of ich, when i do my water changes. i fill a bucket treat it w/ appl. chems and then put a submersible heater in the bucket and match the temps before i add it to the tank. i havent seen a lick of ich since my goldfish days
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

I should have made it clear that you do a gradual temp change, 1-3 degrees a day intil your temp reaches 86 degrees.

I know may ich came from some fish that I got from a my LFS, I got to get a quarantin tank.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Raising the temperature and adding salt is an effective way to counter ich. Plants may be affected by prolonged exposure to levels of salt in excess of 0.5%. If you do plan to raise the salt concentration make sure you do so in gradual steps over one to two days to prevent osmotic shock to the fish.

Eric

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the help, right now Im in the process of slowly raising the temp up to 86. Im glad to hear that I can can somewhat safely use the salt/temp method to treat the tank. IBN, when you say .5% salinity what do you mean? I usually use one teaspoon per 5 gallons to treat ich which in my tank comes to 3/4 of a cup, which I add over the course of a week. In this concentration do you think there would be any adverse effects to my plants? Thanks for the help
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's basically a % of salt in solution and correlates to a specific gravity of around 1.004. You'll reach this (0.5%) by adding around 0.04 lbs (181.4 grams) of salt to a gallon of water.

You're pretty safe under the dosage that you're using. One teaspoon per every 5 gallons is a really low dosage.

Eric

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
You'll reach this (0.5%) by adding around 0.04 lbs (181.4 grams) of salt to a gallon of water.
Ooopsie... you meant 18 grams, right??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode