I'm new to planted tanks, but here's my first attempt. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm new to planted tanks, but here's my first attempt.

I've been reading this forum for a while now, and I finally got the courage up to have a go at my own planted tank. Here's a breif tour of how the setup went.

1. Firstly (the thing that started me off) A friends father-in-law was selling his custom 2ftx2ftx2ft octanganal tank - for the price he was asking I could'nt let it pass.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gumbo/F...avel_thumb.jpg

2. The hood was very shallow, to get sufficent lighting I needed to get creative. I managed to track down some 2ft reflectors with external ballasts. With the 2 squeezed in there I now have 4x20w fluros. If i go by the watts per gallon rule this gives me roughly just under 2 watts per gallon. (i hope its enough)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gumbo/F...tsin_thumb.jpg

3. So with the final touches done. I went down the local fish store and managed to find a nice bit of driftwood. it even has java moss already growing on it and 2 other plants which I cant identify.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gumbo/F...wood_thumb.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~gumbo/F...ood2_thumb.jpg

So the setup so far:

Custom 2ftx2ftx2ft octanganal tank. (approx 168lts or 45 gal)
4x20w fluros.
fluval 304 filter
3mm gravel.

Next on the list will be some c02 injection of some sort (probably diy) and some fish of course!!! Dunno which ones yet though.

Let me know what you think!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum ski9k!

I know what you mean about being nervous about posting pics. After seeing everyone else's pics here it took me awhile to get up the courage too.

It doesn't look like you have anything to worry about though. That is a gorgeous piece of driftwood! If I were you, I'd try to keep that as my centerpiece and plant around and on it. Unfortunately, what you've got is a low-light set-up, so you're going to be limited as to what plants you can use. I don't know what else you could do given the odd size of the tank (sounds like you had to do quite a bit of hunting as it is).

What kind of planting do you have in mind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:28 PM

Welcome Ski. I Love that driftwood. I have 2wg in my 24" tall tank and with a little co2 stem plants will break the surface in no time at all. Pop some stems in there to cycle out your tank and you can change it slowly after awhile. You will need a weed whacker in no time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ski... Very nice start, I love the driftwood; is that one single piece? The other plant on the wood is most than likely Java fern. Keep us updated with pics once you get the other plants planted.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

I'm hoping it will take off. It's day 2 so far and everything seems okay still - no algae outbreaks yet (fingers crossed).

oldfarmhouse: when you say get some stems in there to cycle - do you mean more stem plants?

I've reconsidered my lighting options and have just worked out if I scrap the reflectors around the fluro's I can probably get another 2 tubes in there. I'll see how it goes as it is anyway.

And just a quick question to you all.... how long should I leave before my next water change - and how much should it be.

I think I'll lay off any ferts till I'm sure everthing is looking good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Oh and to Trenac: To answer your questions - Yes it is just one peice of driftwood - or is it bogwood?

The guy in the shop said it was Malaysian Driftwood.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Yes Ski. Stem plants like wisteria or hornwort grow like weeds and will give you quick satifaction and will compete with the algae and win every time as long as it keeps growing. Your gravel might need some sticks (jobes, Saechem)fertilizers in there soon since its generic gravel. Others can lead you better than me in that area but I would stay away from water column fertilizers for a while until your more established. All this is kind of moot untill you get some co2 up and running.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

wow - co2 really does make a difference

Well.... this post has certainly been a long time comming but heres the story...

I never bothered putting in co2 for the first 2 or so years and I was always having problems with slime algae, I could keep it under control but I had to clean the tank every week and my plant growth was really slow.

All the neons I had in the tank died after 6 months of initially setting the tank up so the tank was only planted with no fish for the majority of its life.

So about 3 months ago I trimmed the tank down to barely nothing (as the photo shows) and decided to maximise fertilization and add co2.

And now! as you can see - pretty big difference. I recently got given 3 Gourami's (Opeline, kissing and I dont know the other) and now the tank looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode