difference in paludarium, riparium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
difference in paludarium, riparium?

I've read and read on here but still can't come up with a working definition that everyone agrees on for these two terms. I know what a vivarium is b/c I have one but what qualifies paludarium and riparium. I'm interested in turning my planted tank into a riparium, is it just as easy as lowering the water level and adding some 'emmersed' forms to the tank.

2. what is difference between immersed and emmersed?

Thanks and sorry for any repetitions on these questions, I just can't seem to find what info I'm looking for.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
1. This topic has come up frequently before, and I've already given my .02 on the etymology of those words, so I'm not going to repeat myself here. Just do a quick search, you'll see. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/se...ium+paludarium

2. Immersed and emersed are somewhat antonyms. Opposites. But we don't say "immersed" for plants, we say "submerged." Probably because of how it sounds too similar to "emersed" when spoken aloud. And also because immersed is more of a generic word that doesn't necessarily have to do with being submerged in liquid. You can immerse yourself in culture, or language, etc. But you can't be submerged in Spanish.... You can say submerged in Spanish though: sumergido!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
But you can't be submerged in Spanish.... You can say submerged in Spanish though: sumergido!
ROFL @ Church!

Here's a good explanation too: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ifference.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
But you can't be submerged in Spanish....
ROFL my officemate thinks I'm a total nutjob, i laughed so hard at this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Thanks! And yeah, check it out in the thread LauraLee linked, I don't feel like typing the whole thing out, I'm lazy

but in short.... a riparium doesn't have any real "land" so the only livestock you can really keep are fish....i guess maybe you could keep bugs too?....

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just in the interest of completeness, the etymology of each word is as follows:

*-arium means "that which contains, or place of"

Vivarium - Root word viv, meaning life, or living, so this is a setup built to contain living things. Obviously, a very generic word.

Terrarium - Root word terra, meaning Earth, or land, so this is a setup built to contain land-dwelling plants and animals.

Aquarium - duhhhhhhhh....

Paludarium - Root word palud, meaning swamp, or marsh, so this is meant to recreate a swamp environment, which incidentally enough, contains land and water.

Riparium - Root word ripa, meaning riverbank (or, possibly, shoreline), so this is meant to recreate a riverside environment, which ALSO contains land and water, but the focus tends to be more on the water side of it all.

It should be noted that all of the above can technically be considered vivariums. It should also be noted that the correct pluralized form of that word is actually vivaria, meaning more than one aquarium should correctly be referred to as aquaria, but I gave up on that one. No one seems to understand you when you correctly pluralize these words.

And while we're on the subject, the correct singular form of bacteria is bacterium. The correct singular form of data is datum, and the correct singular form of media is medium.

Therefore, I usually cringe when I hear how "the media tells us..." when referring to news, TV, etc. No, the media tell us. Not tells.

Did I say all of that out loud?

[/rant]
deeda, Termato and Termato like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Slow day, eh Church?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, you could say so, lol. I've been recording all day long and in between takes I've been coming here to the forums for escape.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

perfect, my questions are answered! thanks to all

Clay
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity576 View Post
perfect, my questions are answered! thanks to all
Yeah, plus more stuff than you ever even dreamed of asking, right?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
simple answer:

Vivarium is any kind of ecosystem withen a tank

Terrariums are purely land

Paludariums are roughly half land, half water, with a solid soil portion for the land.

Ripariums, as promoted by hydrophote is plants grown on floating foam rafts in half full tanks. Supposedly traditionally they were paludariums with waterfalls/water features of some kind.

Aquariums are fully water.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yep, tons of info! lol I have a vivarium now that I have a 2 inch water table with a grid over it and then soil/peat/coconut base, growing bromeliads and etc in there and there used to be dart frogs in there. I'm going to convert it to a riparium/paludarium but do it simply. I think I'm just going to make a couple land masses with rocks and wood rising out of the water, and then also float some plants. The back is coconut with a side of the aquarium with slate mortared on. I'll post some pics of current viv setup and maybe you all can help me with ideas to convert it.

Clay
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Clay
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nice latin Church!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

after taking everything out except the sideground and background and redoing it, here is what I have now. Let me know what you think.

Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode