I'm new and a little advice would be nice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm new and a little advice would be nice

I just set up a 55. I have about 2.5 wpg on the tank and a pressurized co2 system. I put in sms substrate. I added plants about a week ago and they are fine but not looking as nice as they did when i added them. What all do I need to be doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kinda plants you have? Sounds like you have everything you need for beautiful plants. Maybe the only thing I see missing is the Patience nutrient. Unless the plants were sourced from similar water conditions they need a little time to adapt.

Hi from Tempe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Are you dosing ferts?

Would you post some pictures? The plants could be nutrient deficient, or they may just be going through normal acclimation to a new tank...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrumbradshaw
What all do I need to be doing?
LOL That's a bit vague of a question, don't you think? It's hard to answer that. Maybe you should tell us more information, like what kind of lighting you have, how much CO2 you're adding, which plants you added, that sort of thing.

I guess the best way to answer your question is, "Giving us more details so we can offer useful advice."

Welcome to TPT by the way!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
The plants could just be getting used to their new environment. I've had a least two instances in the immediate past of plants thriving at first, then looking very unhealthy, then a very strong comeback.

There's no basement in the alamo.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont know what kind of plants i have in there I have not gotten my drop checker yet so I am not sure how my co2 levels are but in the bubble counter it is about 1- 1.5 bubbles per second. I have not dosed any ferts yet, as Im not quite sure what to dose. My nitrates are at about 10 ppm and my ammonia is a little high at around 10 ppm also.
I know i have some ricci in there and it looks like its doing Really good. also some java moss which looks like its getting a gray fuzz on it. I have some dwarf hair grass which looks the same. The leafy plants are the ones that dont look as good. I am guessing that maybe they are just getting used to the new tank???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Chances are the problem lies somewhere in the midst of you not knowing exactly how much CO2 there is, and having not dosed at all. You definitely should begin a regular fert routine, and you should crank up the CO2 as well. At least until you get your crop checker. You don't have any fish in the tank, right? So no worries about killing any fish. But 1-1.5 bps is a pretty low rate for a 55g.

Also you should tell us what kind of filtration you have. For all we know, you're using a nanofilter or something.

It's very possible the plants are just getting used to the tank. Some pictures would be helpful, I suppose.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
My nitrates are at about 10 ppm and my ammonia is a little high at around 10 ppm also.
Are those levels way too high? You are talking about 10 ppm.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
10ppm ammonia? With SMS substrate? Where's the ammonia coming from?

It's possible for some plants to get ammonia burn.

If you can post pictures that might help figure out what the issue is.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode