How do i get rid of brown algae on plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
How do i get rid of brown algae on plants?

i have a 29g tall with 48watts of light and now c02. i just ordered seachem excel to start dosing regularly. and i cut my light time in half from 12hrs to 6hrs a day. i am still having a problem with brown algae on the plants and a little hair algae. what can i do to stop it? is there in shrimp that can live with angel fish and not get eaten?
let me know what you think! thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
In addition to what you're doing, and somebody else should vouch for this, I would add a few Otto Cats. I think they can live with Angels.

There's no basement in the alamo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a 2 1/4 inch chinese algae eater but he doesn't like to eat the algae off the plants, specifically the water sprite. will these guys eat the algae off the water sprite?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think you need to rehome the Angels and the CAE. They will all get too large for your tank.

You might try spot-treating the algae with some Seachem Excel or hydrogen peroxide, as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
The CAE will stop eating algae as it gets older, and they are generally beligerent toward other fish as they age. With Angels, I have heard that the CAE may actually latch onto the fish themselves.

Ottos should eat the algae directly off of the plant.

There's no basement in the alamo.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
As stated, too much stock for that tank, the otos do help, less feeding and WTC.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
SAE's are horrible at eating algae after the first few weeks of owning them goes by. That being said, they aren't even really known for eating the brown algae in the first place, as they tend to gravitate towards the greener kinds. But otos, on the other hand, LOVE this stuff. It is their favorite food in nature. Move your SAE to a huge tank, since it will grow WAAAAAAY too large for you to have in that one, then get a trio of otos.

I don't see you mention that you already have the angels you alluded to, but if you do already have them, move them to a larger tank as well. Really, 29g is just too small unless you are raising angel fry in there (only the fry, not their parents), and they will be moved to a larger tank once they are about an inch or two in size.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the advice i think i will trade in the CAE for some otto cats! thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm running a UV sterilizer to ease the problem at the moment. My fish dug around the substrate and caused cloudy water issues. That caused brown algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode