Overstocked? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Overstocked?

this is obviously my first post here, as im sure you can see my name is Justin, i live in the Vegas area, its hard to find good fish out here, my local petsmart seems to have the healthiest stock. they often will recieve "opportunity buys" as they call it. anywho down to business. im running a 29g Top Fin kit. its been up and running for about a year now, and slowly i have been adding fish to it when them opportunity buys come up. right now i have-

1 albino barb (3in)
2 tiger barbs(3in)
2 bala sharks (6.5in and 5in)
2 pleco's (both about 8in)
1 roseline shark (3in)
1 oscar (6.5-7in)

the oscar is really docile he is a complete 180 from any other oscar i have ever heard of. I took him in, in horrible shape and pretty much nursed him back to health, my old roomate kept him in a half filled 5 gal tank with the pump and light off for over a year, he never even cleaned it. just fed it and called it good (i throw this in because everyone always seems to flip out about the oscar)

I only have light amts of live plants and a couple of caves for the fish to hide in. while the fish are pretty big, they still seem to be happy, they often chase each other around and still eat normally. given these conditions, do you think that they should be fine for another 6 months until i move and save up enough for a complete 150 gallon setup?

Sorry if that was a novel, just trying to get all the details in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 AM

Welcome to the forum, Justin. I also live in Vegas. FYI, you could go to FISH at Charleston and Bruce to get some nice fish

Your tank is really- really Overstocked. Those fish grow very fast. The barbs may be just a snack for your oscar in a couple of month. You either get the large tank fast or return some of those fish (switch to small fish instead).
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The Oscar or the Pleco's or the Bala Sharks alone would be enough to overstock a 29 gallon tank. I figure your tank is overstocked by a factor of around 5X

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yeah, you have a lot of big fish in there. And a lot of them are big waste makers. If you want a lot of fish in the tank, you should really stick with smaller species. One 7 inch oscar is more than enough for a 29 gallon tank!

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 PM

Lets not also forget that roseline sharks are just big barbs too. I had one that was almost 4-5 inches, and I don't think he was full grown when I had an accident and lost him.. That tank is super overstocked.

Matt
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Agreed. The tank is seriously overstocked at the moment. Other than the barbs, each one of those fish that you mentioned would be comfortable in the 29 by itself, since none of them are at their maximum attainable size yet.

cor, you are correct in assuming that the roseline isn't full grown yet. Saw a batch of 5 of them a couple of weeks ago which were all around 10" (not sure how much bigger they can get). At that size, they're gonna need a huge tank, due to their active demeanor.

Eric

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:42 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
One other thing to keep in mind is that the barbs are schooling fish and prefer to be in a schoal. You might consider adding a few more barbs if or when you get rid of the larger fish.

Welcome.

Shay
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm going to go out on a limb & say ... your tank is overstocked.

John P.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

i was kinda figuring that i was overstocked, just need to verify, i guestimated the size of the fish its all general just from lookng at them swim. i keep a good eye on all the vitals of the water, i just wanted to see if you guys thought they would be ok for 5-6mo until i complete the 150 gallon setup. ill probably move the barbs to a 10 gallon i got sitting around, and get another 30 gal tank for a pleco and oscar. think that would hold them over better? i hate tank hopping them, the stress is horrible on them.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you do the fish store thing and do say 50% daily water changes you MIGHT be ok for a couple of months.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's gonna pretty hard to keep all those tanks going until you get the other one going. Even the 30 gallon alone will have problems coping with the wastes from the pleco and oscar, but it's better than what you have going right now.

Just remember not to slack on those water changes and you should be fine (lowering the temperature will also slow down their metabolism).

Eric

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
It's gonna pretty hard to keep all those tanks going until you get the other one going. Even the 30 gallon alone will have problems coping with the wastes from the pleco and oscar, but it's better than what you have going right now.

Just remember not to slack on those water changes and you should be fine (lowering the temperature will also slow down their metabolism).
i may sell off a few unneccessary items to expediate the process of getting that 150 gal, it will be my first large tank, any suggestions about setups and general guidelines on large tanks, i really dont wanna lose my fish by making some stupid mistake
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

Justin, I just want to give you a pat on the back for saving that oscar and nursing him back to health. It's obvious you've got an investment in him, and that you're trying to do the best for him and for the rest of your fish. I wouldn't be able to get rid of him either. I don't really have much to add to what everyone else has said here, but thought you ought to get kudos for that.

You'll be really happy when you get the 150 going, and I think you'll find that it's easier to deal with than smaller tanks.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 AM

Setting up a large tank is basically the same as the smaller ones. You just need to make sure you have the right stand and that the floor can hold the weight. You may also need multiple heaters and a couple of canisters
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:29 AM

I don't know if you are planning on buying a stand for that 150g but I would suggest building your own and saving a boatload of money. I little trick that I learned from my LFS when building your own stand is that you should put layer of styrofoam between the stand top & your tank .... it will "even" out the tank from imperfections in the construction of the stand ... unless you're a freaking carpenter!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode