Proper placement of Fluval intake! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Proper placement of Fluval intake!

I have had my 20L up and running for about 4 months now and a move is right around the corner. The stress of moving is enough not to mention moving my tanks too. Needless to say I would like to make some adjustments after the move during the set up to insure proper working order. I have my Fluval 104 intake in the left corner of my tank with the tube about a 1/4 inch away from the bottom. I have viewed photos here and else where and see a whole bunch of different ways to place them. How far up from the bottom should it be? I have had a few minor problems with Nitrates being high and I have vacumed the substrate even though people say not to in a planted tank. I change my filter media every 3 weeks and it is very dirty in there so I know it's working, but is it working enough?! The tank it's self is 75% planted, with 15 small fish in it. Sometimes I mix up the substrate to airate it and it clouds the tank for a while, but it also gives the filter a chance to get missed debris....it this OK? Any suggestions would help.

75G Empty
20G Planted Empty
7G Betta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

My Fluval intake in my 20G long tank is placed about 6" from the left corner of the tank on the back glass with the intake almost touching the gravel.

Instead of vacuuming your gravel to lower nitrtates try more frequent or larger water changes. You could even place a Algone packet in your filter to help lower your nitrtates.

Also think about changing your filter media (floss) every week or bi-weekly. This will help to keep your water cleaner and the media working at its max.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:09 AM
mpb
Planted Member

Nitrates are the final product of the biological filtration. If you have high nitrates it means that your biological filtration in working great and it is generating more nitrates than the plants can consume.

To lower nitrates I would recommend increasing the frequency of the water changes or make the plants take more nitrates.
How much light do you have? Do you have CO2 injection?

As a final resource you could use some specify resin to remove nitrates or ammonia.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

What is the wattage of your lighting, and are you dosing any nutrients?
If you have good plant mass, you fertilize the other Macros lightly, and you do regular water changes, your plants will use the nitrates naturally. The water changes will take care of the rest.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, well thanks to everyone. I am using a algone packet. Into the third week I have to change it for the Nitrates are to prevelent. I was thinking of trying to not use it at all, so thus the problem. My lighting is a 10,000k 65W Orbit unit, I'm not using the blue bulb that is in it. It's on for 12 hours a day. My CO2 is a Hagon unit with my own mixture. Works like a charm. Let's see, my water changes are 15% per week. I'm using a cap full of Flourish a week, I'm not sure which one, I believe it's the all in one. Because of the eco-complete, I really didn't need the nutrients yet, but I'm using them anyway. My floss is very dirty every time I change it, I'll try changing it weekly. Any other suggestions?

75G Empty
20G Planted Empty
7G Betta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:18 PM
mpb
Planted Member

I would increase your water changes to 40% every week.

Another question, how many fish do you have in the tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode