How long do you boil driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long do you boil driftwood?

If you use your own driftwood, how long should you boil it? ARe there any other methods of treating your own driftwood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
When you say, "your own" driftwood, I assume you mean wood you found on a beach?

If your goal is to sterilize it, baking (at about 300 degrees) for an hour or two might be a faster and more effective alternative to boiling. It will destroy (and dessicate) any living organism(s) in the wood, and release any volatile chemicals.

If your goal is to leach out tannins, then simply soaking it in a bucket of water will suffice.

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
won't you torch the thing at 300 deg.?
I went as high as 200 deg. last time and I saw heavy smoke coming out from my oven...

I'd stick with boiling
or if it's really big, dishwasher without soap :P

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
My thoughts on driftwood can be found in this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=driftwood
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpow
won't you torch the thing at 300 deg.?
I went as high as 200 deg. last time and I saw heavy smoke coming out from my oven...

I'd stick with boiling
or if it's really big, dishwasher without soap :P

No, it wont torch it since wood does not begin to burn until it reaches about 540 degrees. At 200 degrees -- which is lower than the boiling point of water (212 degrees) -- there should be no smoking at all. At most, very volatile chemical residues may vaporize, but will not smoke/burn from combustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
My thoughts on driftwood can be found in this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=driftwood
Good points. Even my fairly dense, store-bought driftwood is weighed down by large, heavy pieces of slate. After 6 months in the tank, they are STILL not water logged and would float cheerfully to the surface if I detached them from the slate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamthuyduong
ARe there any other methods of treating your own driftwood?
Are you treating it to disinfect, drive out tannis, or saturate?

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder w/Eco Complete ||
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater

Last edited by EricSilver; 08-25-2004 at 05:41 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:20 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
How do you really feel about Driftwood Rex ?

All I have ever done is boiled my wood.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 AM

But what about petrified wood?

It doesn't leak organics, but it is a huge chunk of minerals. Do they affect water chemistry much?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Petrified wood can contain calcite that can and will affect water chemistry.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Well if you want to get really technical Rex, the african "Swahala wood" two toned color comes from the desert and has never been in water. So what would you call that?

The term bogwood originaly meant wood taken from peat bogs. This wood can be thousands of years old and perfectly preserved. Most of this is in Europe. Scotland has some famous bogs. However, true "bogwood" rarely makes its way to the USA.

Wood is also pulled from swamps, which is like a bog, but different. Various people on the internet pull Cypress wood from swamps in Florida, Louisiana, and so forth. People like aquariumdriftwood and Florida driftwood. But this is not true bogwood in the true sense, and it does float. A few years ago I bought a big box of wood from aquariumdriftwood.com. It was sent wrapped in wet newspaper to keep it wet, but I let it sit around for a couple weeks and it got all dried out. It floated and never sank. I soaked some of it for 3 months and it still never sank. I finaly stuck it in my outdoor garden.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The African wood is usually dense enough it sinks. There are some woods that are naturally dense enough to sink. There are other woods that you can boil forever and they will never sink. I know people who have floating homes on old growth Douglas Fir trunks that have been submerged for almost 100 years and they have yet to sink.

Bog wood sound so much better than swamp wood. The basic idea is a wood that a hardwood that has been submerged, has had the softer parts rotted off and sinks. Driftwood out here on the left coast usually doesn't meet any of the three of those points.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a piece of the Florida driftwood. It is going on it's second year without sinking. Thank God for slate.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode