Hi-Q Complete Cycle Filter System. no need for WC?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Hi-Q Complete Cycle Filter System. no need for WC?!

sup guys... last night came across this filtering system called Hi-Q Complete Cycle Filter System. Basically they say/claim, and I quote;

"...that provide the growing environment for a third group of bacteria, which comeplete the Nitrogen Cycle by converting nitrates into harmless nitrogen gass, which simply escapes from the top of the aquarium."

does this means, this will ease all our painful "weekly" water change and allow us to be lazy?? anyone else heard of this miracle filtering system? any opinion?? there's more info here " http://hiq-usa.com/ ". thnx ya'll...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted in progress w/ Angels, Gouramis, & Neons "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" update: German Blue Ram!! & Yo Yo Loach
20 Gallon full of Guppies, and Tiger Barbs (Relocated to save my Neons)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have actually heard of this and looked into it as a possible filteration system. I asked at wet web (or something like that)- highly thought of forum- where it was strongly recommended against. It is basically a RUGF- reverse undergravel filter with a HOT. There were couple of reputed people who were asked to use it for a couple of months and there were no fish deaths. Even then this was not recommended as no water change system but as a decreased water change system.
I sorely hope there is someone who has used this that can answer and give their input.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
There's no new technology involved. Anaerobic bacteria will break down nitrates. Plenums used to be popular in years gone by for providing a staging area for this process, especially in SW tanks.

Just we want nitrates in a planted tank, so it's rather counterproductive.

Plus nitrates aren't the only thing that needs to be removed by water changes- there's other hormones, oils, proteins, toxins (and possible excess ferts) that can build up in a tank.

So IMO this product is completely useless on a planted tank.

For the sake of fish, there's no substitute for water changes.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashaswibs View Post
I have actually heard of this and looked into it as a possible filteration system. I asked at wet web (or something like that)- highly thought of forum-..
I sorely hope there is someone who has used this that can answer and give their input.
... decreased WC was the 1st thing comes to mind when read about this filter. and same here, was hoping more had opinion regarding this device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
There's no new technology involved. Anaerobic bacteria will break down nitrates. Plenums used to be popular in years gone by for providing a staging area for this process, especially in SW tanks.

Just we want nitrates in a planted tank, so it's rather counterproductive.

Plus nitrates aren't the only thing that needs to be removed by water changes- there's other hormones, oils, proteins, toxins (and possible excess ferts) that can build up in a tank.

So IMO this product is completely useless on a planted tank.

For the sake of fish, there's no substitute for water changes.

thnx Laura, ur right about WC required for other needs as well. I know it's not possible (or fair) to completely rule out WC, was just wondering if this was too good to be true...

Planted in progress w/ Angels, Gouramis, & Neons "
" update: German Blue Ram!! & Yo Yo Loach
20 Gallon full of Guppies, and Tiger Barbs (Relocated to save my Neons)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode