Overgrown jungle aquascapes are the best looking. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I like a strong hardscape but it doesn't have to be made of Japanese stone and fancy bits of wood. If there is a backbone then plants have a logical spot to grow. Ferns and moss on wood/rocks. Stems in the back. Crown plants between stones and so on. Really important to me is how comfortable fish are in the tank. I love seeing plecos working on wood and rocks rather than the tank sides. I love seeing fish spawning in dense plants and watching them swim through foliage and wood arches. Love watching fish appear and disappear.

So I prefer the stone/wood scapes done by ADA, not the extreme contest winner types although they sure are fun to see in photos. Completely carpeted tanks with no tall stuff aren't for me at all. Dutch tanks force fish to swim in the open and look like flower stands half the time. Most landscape tanks look great until you notice that there are fish rather than deer in there. Shocking looking to me. Real jungle tanks don't offer enough of a focus for me and there usually isn't enough negative space so the tank looks right to me. At least my jungle tanks were like that. The nice tanks posted here are fine by me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornstar View Post
I like the "Overgrown Jungle" look. Here's mine.

The plant on the left will be coming out as soon as I find the perfect piece of driftwood. Until then its about to get a major trim this afternoon.

While I do like the jungle look I am trying my hand at a high tech Iwugami like tank.

Matt
Very beautiful. I've always thought about doing a single plant, covering the tank, like grasses...nothing but grasses. Maybe some twigs...yea.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Most landscape tanks look great until you notice that there are fish rather than deer in there..
LOLOLOL!!!! So funny.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Algae Grower

So do you guys think something like this would be too artificial looking or not?

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
As @ichy said, to each their own... But I have always preferred 100% natural looking tanks. When designing my tank I wanted it to look like I put on goggles and stuck my head underwater in a lake or stream.

My 29g high tech aquarium

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

This is underwater footage of the San Marcos River in Texas. I've snorkeled it many times, and it is beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmkmsnLoO2Y
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

Ah man, San Marcos River!

I loved that place.
I never snorkeled there but I did go tubing a few times.

BTW I had a tank that looked a bit like that once.... (overgrown plants, algae, no discernible pattern)
Wife said I either cleaned or she was dumping it.

So, yeah.... It was changed.

Aren't we all just living in a giant fish bowl?
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
WOW, hard to believe that the San Marcos River is freshwater... Water is crystal clear and flora looks very tropical!

My 29g high tech aquarium

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agreed. Plus to me the more plants the healthier for any inhabitants as well. I mean so long as the plants don't crowd each other out. And def to each their own.. This is my "getting back into the hobby after about 10 yrs out" tank.. that I'd put a LOT of time into and went small so I could put more time into it (wheN I got out I had a 125gal 6ft tank and that was a ton of work)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151221_192928.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	567249  

20g long with Otos, Corydoras Pygmaeus, RCS and Nerites

2.6 gal nano planted Sparkling gourami breeding tank

2 gal planted Betta Splendens tank

10 g planted with Sparkling Gourami fry

Tags
aquascape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode