Stupid *newbie* Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Stupid *newbie* Questions

I guess first of all, since I have barely posted at all in this forum since I joined, I might as well introduce myself. Hi, I'm Tucker (glad i got that off my chest!). I have a 210g tank, it has been running for about 2 months now, and with me taking everthing slowly, and hoping i do everything right, i JUST put plants in it on friday. My question is, alot of my plants (mostly my Red Rubins and Ruffle Swords) were crunched up a bit in shipping. They all look really healthy, are not losing any color, already have two to three new leaves poking up through the substrate; but, from being packed in the box, some of the leaves have little creases and/or cracks on them. I figured this was going to happen, and I expected there to be some streaming from these damaged parts (although, the only evidence of damages is the streaming). But these plants seem to be taking streaming to an extreme. My tank looks cloudy from all the little bubbles coming out of these plants. Is it normal for them to stream this bad? Does this mean that they have enough CO2 and light? Or is it just normal for them to stream this bad? My parameters are as follows:

pH- 7.1
Amm, and Nitrite are 0
Nitrate 2ppm
CO2 is 5.243 (according to chucks page)
Phosphates are <.25
78degrees
just over 3.5 wpg
(sorry i can never remember all the abbreviations )

I am just a curious newb

Tucker

Last edited by tucker; 08-23-2004 at 03:57 PM. Reason: forgot wpg and temp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM

If plant leaves are damaged, and they're photosynthesizing at all, they'll stream. Streaming really only indicates damaged plants...not that there's plenty of CO2.

Your CO2 is low...doesn't look like you're injecting any CO2...adn you should at 3.5wpg.
The only reason you don't have algae is because your nitrate and phosphates are too low.
Start your fertilizing regimen, and get some CO2 injection, or your plants will quickly use up their nutrient stores and look worse than they do now. I'd say you probably have 2 weeks to rectify things before bad stuff happens.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Actually, i am injecting C02... From the tap, my water's pH is 8.0, it is only 7.1 in the tank because of the CO2 injection. According to Chuck's page, my CO2 is sitting right where it should be, guess i will re-read the page again.

Thanks!

Tucker

edit: Ok, i just realized i typed the wrong value into the calculator... my CO2 is sitting at 18.683ppm... sorry for the mistake

Last edited by tucker; 08-23-2004 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I'll learn how to spell sometime...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ok, to start with you need to test your tap water pH after the water has rested for a minimum of 12 hours. I prefer to wait 24 hours. Then we need your kH. Judging by your CO2 levels I would have to guess your kH is right around 2-2.5į That's the only way you could have that low level of CO2 with that pH. If that's the case you need to get your kH up to at least 3į and 4-5į would be better. And you should be running a CO2 level in the 20-25 ppm range.

Take a minute or two and read my FAQ, it's in my signature. It will give you some very good information.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 AM

Hey Tucker! There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode