Java Fern From Petco - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Java Fern From Petco

I bought a live java fern from a petstore called Petco and I'm not really sure if it's a real aquatic plant or not. The java fern came in a long, round, plastic container and on the bottom of the container was a jello-like substance. It was sold on the shelf with other plants. The plants were not in an aquarium. On the package, it was not called java fern, but rather tropica fern. Although the latin name is microsorium pteropus. The company that produced the so called tropica fern is Complete Aquatic Systems (this information was on the back of the package) Will this java fern live? Has anyone bought this type of java fern from this company before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Microsorium pteropus is the Latin name for the plant we all know as Java fern, so you are alright there! I have never seen it grown out of water, although it can be, and is found that way in nature all of the time.

I have no experience taking a Java fern that was grown emmersed, and grown it submersed. That being said, I would treat the plant like any other Java fern. Attach it to some wood or stone. If you plant it in the substrate, be sure not to bury the rhizome. I honestly don't know if it will shed it's leaves like an emmersed grown Echinodorus, so be patient with it!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very very slooow growth = extra patience

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamthuyduong
I bought a live java fern from a petstore called Petco and I'm not really sure if it's a real aquatic plant or not. The java fern came in a long, round, plastic container and on the bottom of the container was a jello-like substance. It was sold on the shelf with other plants. The plants were not in an aquarium. On the package, it was not called java fern, but rather tropica fern. Although the latin name is microsorium pteropus. The company that produced the so called tropica fern is Complete Aquatic Systems (this information was on the back of the package) Will this java fern live? Has anyone bought this type of java fern from this company before?
I'm surprised that PetCo actually labelled a plant. They normally throw everything into the plant tank and make you guess what it is.

What shelf was it on? I am envisioning my local PetCo and don't recall seeing plants on shelves.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver
I'm surprised that PetCo actually labelled a plant. They normally throw everything into the plant tank and make you guess what it is.

What shelf was it on? I am envisioning my local PetCo and don't recall seeing plants on shelves.
Exactly what I was gonna say At my Petco, usually they just dump many plants in a tank filled with whole bunch of snails.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Planted Member

I've seen those before at Petco....they are just different emersed aquatic plants that are sold in little plastic containers. The company that makes them labels them, not PETCO! haha They also have sword plants, bolbitis, and some other plants.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fishfry is right. The company that produced the java fern labeled them not Petco.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 02:12 PM

Yep, I work for Petco...and if it weren't for the java ferns in the tubes, I would say they are the worst idea ever to clutter the endcaps... Well, okay, maybe not the worst, goldfish coffin anyone? But still...

The plants themselves are fine, the javas seem to grow well and that's the only way we seem to be able to get them at my store. (I have high hopes for our new vendor though). My problem with them is that two thirds of the plants sold in the tubes are non aquatics!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My Petco doesn't even have a light over the live plant tanks!!!! There are two tanks, one is swords and the other is Hornwort, very sad.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
At my local petco, there are plants covered in BBA which doesn't look pretty. Would be surprised if anybody bought it thinking thats the way its suppose to look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode