What kind of filter and light should I use - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of filter and light should I use

Hi I am new here and I never had a planted tank. I am going to have a 300 gall. in a couple of month and I want it to be planted with some fish in there. I have fish for it already. But what kind of light do I need I am looking to get low and high plants. What kind of filter would be best for the plants. I heard that Salvania natans help filtration. How big of a filter should I use? Is uv light the blue ones I have two 48 inch ones like that that I bought with a used 125 gal. should I get any other lighting. Also witch is better for plants sand or gravel. I also heard that mixing the two is better. Please help me.

P.S. This site is the best planted site I ever seen!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Wow, a 300gal tank is going to be quite a build! I strongly recommend that you look through the Photo Journal forum and read up on how others have put together their large tanks. Many people use sumps on tanks this large, but there are other closed-loop systems available as well. Ocean Clears would be something to consider.

Personally, I'd go for a low light setup. A tank this large is going to require lots of weekly maintenance if you go high tech, as 300 gallons of plants is a LOT of plants to trim each week! Getting good CO2 distribution through the tank is going to be a challenge as well, if you go high light.

I think the blue bulbs you're talking about are probably actinic bulbs, which are for saltwater tanks. You'd have better results growing plants under bulbs that are in the 5000-10,000 kelvin range.

Salvinia is a great nutrient hog plant, but I personally found it to be a pain b/c it would always get pushed under water and clog my filter intakes.

Substrate choice is a huge can of worms- check out our substrate forum for more info and debates over "glorified dirt" than you ever imagined possible LOL Personally, I went with a Flourite and ColorQuartz combo in my own 90gal and am very happy with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Really it is I think ima go to the lfs and try to figure out what it is. Can I put shrimp in with my fish I know my angel have eaten my ghost shrimp. But I never had any other kinds of shrimp. As for triming I am fine with. I have alot of free time. When I am not cleaning my breeder tanks or my koi tank/pond. The tank is 3.5 feet wide 4 feet high and 4 feet deep. So that why I want both high and low. The low will be more towards the front and the high more in the back of the tank. I am also going to put one or two piece of driftwood in there is that okay?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Oh- you mean tall and short plants, not necessarily "high light" versus "low light" plants- my misunderstanding.

That's a very deep tank. Properly lighting that tank is going to be a bit of a challenge. Too much light and you'll end up with an algae farm instead of a planted tank...

Yes, driftwood is often used in planted tanks.

You might try adult (2"+) Amano shrimp if you've got small Angels. Small shrimp are most likely to end up as snacks, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Wow your tank is 48" high? I have no experience with that tall of a tank, but I'm guessing you will need metal halides to properly light a tank of that size.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I am also talking about High and low light but the shorter ones will be in front and taller more in back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode