Plant ID assistance needed. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Plant ID assistance needed.

I need help on identifying 2 plants. The kid at the LFS had no clue what they were and they werent labeled of course. I have looked through a number of sites already and havent found the right match for either yet. unfortunately I dont have a digital camera either

The first resembles and may well be a hygrophila. It is a bunch/stalk plant, sold in groups of about 8-10 stalks, looks to have been cut, with no roots on bottom. The leaves are a heavy dark green on top, a deep red/purple underneath. Leaves are about 2" long by 1/4" to 1/2" wide, with kinda a sawtooth pattern on the edges. the green side has a thin red/purple line running up the middle. the leaves I believe are arranged in groups of 4 or 5 every couple inches or so up the stalk

The second is also sold as groups of stalks/cuttings but is not hygrophila shaped at all. It is similar in coloring, except a brighter green on top and brighter shade of definite purple underneath. The leaves are much larger, about 3" long by 1 1/2" wide, with a wrinkled effect across the leave and a curl towards the green side on the very edges, almost forming a very shallow bowl effect. the leaves I believe are arranged in groups of 2 or 3 every 1-2", but with the larger leaves at the bottom growing away from the stalk on their own "stalks"

not the best descriptions maybe but the best my memory provides. any help on identifying these or sites to research these on would be appreciated. these definitely look nice and would add good color to my tank but would not want to purchase obviously without some background info. I am assuming with the coloration these would probably be light-intensive as well.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Patrick -
I saw your post elsewhere, also with no replies. From my standpoint, it is really difficult to ID plants without seeing them.
Your best bet is to try www.tropica.com They have a huge variety of plants with pictures.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, the first one kinda sound like Ludwigia Peruensis but I have no clue on the other.

Del Goins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode