When red plants turn green? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
When red plants turn green?

I can't remember the specific plant names, but two completly different plant types have turned from red to green. I'd like a little variety in my tank...does anyone know if this is a light intensity/wavelength issue or nutrient defficiency? It's a 10g tank with weekly water changes (25%) and supplemented with a miscellaneous aquatic plant fertilizer. The hood has two screw in bulbs, one a 15W generic plant bulb and the other is a 25W regular bulb.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by rustinj74; 09-18-2004 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this one...but don't red plants generally need iron?

Re-boot!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds to me like they aren't getting enough light. Might want to look into a retrofit lighting system.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Mind giving more details to your setup? Such as: how long you've had those bulbs, what kind are they (kelvin reading or whatever is labeled on them), how long they're on, what kind of fertilizer you are using, what's your water condition like, which red plants are you talking about (description, or pictures would be helpful), etc.

Really a lot of unknowns right now, so if you can supply any of those, it'll be a better start. As for iron, all plants need it to varying degree...

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Even without hearing the specs, Sounds like the first step is better lights
Those bulbs sound like the incadescent bulbs and the "plant bulb" isn't that great either

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lights I agree but also give them a chance... even in good lighting sometimes "red" plants can lose there color for a bit until they settle in... but muh man you definately will not get the most out of "any" red plants with your current lighting. Maybe some Sunset hygro but even that is not going to thrive there.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the input! I thought it might be a common problem with an easy answer. I'll do my homework tonight and provide more details and pics. Thanks again for the help!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:28 AM

I had the same problem with some red plants of mine. Supplementing iron helped quite a bit, then adding more light helped even more. Iron helped my other plants a lot as well. I didn't think there were any problems with them, but then they just kind of exploded after I began supplementing iron.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Raykwonx,

Thanks for the info! I've been adding Nutrafin Plant Grow (0.15% N, 0.26% Fe, .05% Mn, and trace Cu, B, Mo) every other week at the recommended dose. Do you add extra iron, or is part of a multipurpose supplement? After reading more of the vast info on this site I've come to the conclusion that it's probably my lighting. I've just been using incandescent bulbs from Walmart (Aqua culture). I figured 40W would be enough for my 10g, but I don't think the small bulbs that fit in the hood it came with really hold up to the 2W/g rule. If anyone knows of a reasonable internet source for 10g lighting setups I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
A step up would be the compact flourescents they sell at walmart for $5 each, if you want higher wattage, then I'd go with ahsupply.com and retrofit your hood

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Ming, Great suggestion! I went to Walmart and got two 13W compact fluorescent lights. My tank is at least 5 times brighter!!! I'll let you know if my plants turn red again.

Thanks! Justin
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:39 PM

red plants typically need iron, and low nitrates (less than 10ppm)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Malcore. I think it was a lighting issue...in this case. The plants are turning even more red than when I got them. Now I'm worried I might have too much light. My plants are putting out so much O2 it looks like the water is starting to boil.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Phosphates will play a role in certain ones also, but then that ties in with nitrates also...

Rustin, I wouldn't worry about having too much light over your tank, as others are running even higher wattages.

Just make sure that you are keeping up with the CO2 and fertilzation.

Eric

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:23 AM

I am pretty sure red plants need more light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode