Pruning E. Stella - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Pruning E. Stella

Do you people usually cut the tops and replant or just cut the tops off and leave the base in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I cut and replant the tops. I think the bases would take too long to start growing and would probably get shaded.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I do the same thing as Urkevitz.

George

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
I leave the 'stumps' in place and plant the tops next to them and tend to end up with too many stems to deal with. It's amazing what grows back from the rooted stumps.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
It's amazing what grows back from the rooted stumps.
I'm finding the same thing. I just cropped and replanted the tops about a week ago, and the stumps already have sideshoots coming out all over the place -- not just at the top node, but all the way down the stem.

Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 06:44 PM

Hey Urkevitz, I received the E. Stella and they were in excellent condition! Thanks a lot man. I spent like the whole day trying to plant the darn things because my Schultz substrate is so friggin' light! \\

Check your PM's btw.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm hoping that the LFS gets some E. Stella in one of these days. They get it very rarely and I would like to get some more. I had a great big honking bunch of it but went on vacation and it got shaded and that was the end of my E. Stella.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:41 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Won't someone on the board hook up our favorite Jar Head!!!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I will probably need to get rid of some in a couple weeks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
If nobody can supply it, I'm sure I can get some to you rex, just give me about 2 weeks, maybe less. It grows amazingly fast, just that I want to replant the first time because these are my first stems.

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 AM

I've left rooted stubs of E. Stelleta as well and have recieved gifts of healthy side shoots from it. When trying to propegate I would definately leave the stubs. Of course E.S. side shoots and grows extremely fast as well, so either way you will end up usually with plenty of side shoots.

Matt
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks guys. Back when I had it I was very surprised at how fast it grew. In fact it would take over about a quarter of my 55 gallon tank in just a couple of weeks. But let it get shaded and it melts really quick.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
But let it get shaded and it melts really quick.
You got that right. It is also a great nutrient indicator to let you know when your root tabs are dead and there aren't enough nitrates in the tank as well. E. Stelleta stunts real easy. I'm still working on growing out my bush of E. Stelleta for one tank, but if nobody hooks you up before I have some extra I'll help ya out Rex.

Matt
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

corigan,

You are correct in that E. Stellata stunts with nitrates are low. In fact when I was growing it I had to remove most of the nitrates hogs from the tank because either I was not dosing frequently enough or they were out-competing the E Stellata for the nitrates.

Why is this stuff so expensive anyway?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
I had limited success with E. Stellata and never had a chance to grow it out That being said, I would cut the tops and leave the rooted portions in order to propagate. Just make sure they don't get shaded, as everyone has already mentioned.

I should be receiving some Stellata broadleaf soon. Hopefully I will have better luck with that.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode