How much $ do you spend on just plants? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much $ do you spend on just plants?

How much $ do you spend on just plants?

I wanted to get an idea of plants vs coral. I know that coral is more expensive but I think plants are not exactly free either.

Please let me know.

My first round of buying plants was over $50 at a fish farm, I also spend a little on many visits at Petco. I have probably spent around $100 on just plants so far.

I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Honestly that's just a whole heck of a lot in my opinion of course...really the best thing is buying from people on here..reason being most if not all the time your getting great plants and you know they are growing since other people are just trimming from theirs..I mean you can get a good variety from some one for a fraction or less then what you have spent. I mean for me so far Ive spent 20-30 on plants alone..personally I don't mind waiting for the shipping and dealing with people and waiting for the plants to grow larger then what was sent.. In the end your helping out a fellow hobbiest instead of a chain store..but to each their own of course
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Cost of living is lower where I am so Petco has plants starting at 2.99-3.99.
I recently read the someone considered 6.99 to be substantially less than regular prices in their aria when talking about those culture plants in a thread. Can't immagine ever paying that at all unless it was something real exotic.
But totally agree/w everything you said and most of mine come from here now.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I pretty much know nothing about saltwater so I don't know exactly how expensive corals are (I have heard of "cheap" ones and prices vary up to really expensive pieces) or how fast they "grow".

Same with freshwater plants, costs vary. Just browse through the for sale section on this forum and see the price range of the plants. You can find stems of certain species for .50 cents to $15 each, bunches from $3 to $20, single plants from $1 to $50+ (just ball park numbers, definitely can be some cheaper or more expensive).

The more expensive ones are more rare and exotic looking while there are cheap that look nice as well. All depends what plants you want, how many you want and how much you are willing to spend. Some are collectors of plants species and would pay top dollar (hundreds) for a single rare plant.

Same with corals/frags/live rock. Even fish costs and driftwood costs. All varies on the person buying.

With that said, you can still make a beautiful scape just using the cheap plants, so it doesn't have to cost much at all to have a nice looking planted tank.

I started this hobby as a fish guy and just recently got into planted tanks. Within these past few months I've spent $150 on Bucephalandra alone and $350+ on various other plants so far (most of them from this forum, best deals hands down most of the time, definitely get a lot more for the money) and I am planning on doing another $100 order in a couple days from now on another site (got some species of plants I want that are currently not available on here).

Me being a fish guy, you don't want to know how much I've spent on fish alone.... not to mention the costs of every other aspect of planted aquariums/this hobby.
This hobby can turn expensive real quick, wish I knew before I started...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
I pretty much know nothing about saltwater so I don't know exactly how expensive corals are (I have heard of "cheap" ones and prices vary up to really expensive pieces) or how fast they "grow".

Same with freshwater plants, costs vary. Just browse through the for sale section on this forum and see the price range of the plants. You can find stems of certain species for .50 cents to $15 each, bunches from $3 to $20, single plants from $1 to $50+ (just ball park numbers, definitely can be some cheaper or more expensive).

The more expensive ones are more rare and exotic looking while there are cheap that look nice as well. All depends what plants you want, how many you want and how much you are willing to spend. Some are collectors of plants species and would pay top dollar (hundreds) for a single rare plant.

Same with corals/frags/live rock. Even fish costs and driftwood costs. All varies on the person buying.

With that said, you can still make a beautiful scape just using the cheap plants, so it doesn't have to cost much at all to have a nice looking planted tank.

I started this hobby as a fish guy and just recently got into planted tanks. Within these past few months I've spent $150 on Bucephalandra alone and $350+ on various other plants so far (most of them from this forum, best deals hands down most of the time, definitely get a lot more for the money) and I am planning on doing another $100 order in a couple days from now on another site (got some species of plants I want that are currently not available on here).

Me being a fish guy, you don't want to know how much I've spent on fish alone.... not to mention the costs of every other aspect of planted aquariums/this hobby.
I had no idea. I thought I had all the Aquarium plants because I purchase every type of plant I could find at my Petco including what I considered to be expansive " betta buddy" plants in those little plastic bags on the shelf. I had absolutely no idea there were $150 single plants, that is salt water coral level stuff there!

I go to the private held fish farm(quite a drive) to get more more rare plants. I am considering rare as not being sold at Petco in packages or tubes. However not as rare as the stuff you guys are trading. Fish farm miami

I thought that maybe freshwater aquarium plants were limited to maybe like 30 different plants mostly because of Petsmart and Petco limited supply.

In fact, the reason I never had a planted tank before was because Petsmart only had like 1 tank full of a very limited selection of plants and no products available for planted aquariums.

I also did not know that people traded and bough/sold plants on this forum.

I am going to have to check that out and maybe ask for a recommendation on something a little more exotic then the Petco/Petsmart stock.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Hahah I hear you!!! I wish I knew how much a start up planted tank would cost and all the different little things.. It also doesn't help I'm a college student with what money I have to spare.. Great thing is since finding this site I have found so many great products that do a good enough job for my tank with out going over board!! Also totally agree on the even cheap plants can make awesome looking tanks!!

In the end I honestly love this new hobby that I've entered into!! I mean money comes and goes who know when your gonna die why not enjoy what you can when you can but being reasonable with knowing bills gotta get paid hahah!!!

Also if it wasn't for Raymond with all the knowledge and advice he has given me these last weeks to months or so I wouldn't know and enjoy it as much as I do..I probably be frustrated with things dying or not getting the right products that I wouldn't want to be in the hobby!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
Quote:

I had no idea. I thought I had all the Aquarium plants because I purchase every type of plant I could find at my Petco including what I considered to be expansive " betta buddy" plants in those little plastic bags on the shelf. I had absolutely no idea there were $150 single plants, that is salt water coral level stuff there!

I go to the private held fish farm(quite a drive) to get more more rare plants. I am considering rare as not being sold at Petco in packages or tubes. However not as rare as the stuff you guys are trading. Fish farm miami

I thought that maybe freshwater aquarium plants were limited to maybe like 30 different plants mostly because of Petsmart and Petco limited supply.

In fact, the reason I never had a planted tank before was because Petsmart only had like 1 tank full of a very limited selection of plants and no products available for planted aquariums.

I also did not know that people traded and bough/sold plants on this forum.

I am going to have to check that out and maybe ask for a recommendation on something a little more exotic then the Petco/Petsmart stock.

The greatest thing about this forum is people will answer or point you to the right thread to help you out with what ever you need.. Never feel dumb no question is a stupid one myself being still new to hobby and as had everyone else we all been there.. Thinking the stores was the only thing planted aquariums had to offer ya know... But any ways depending on what your looking for here's a link to a thread about low light plants that has helped me with choosing my needs and for my tank also lot of the stuff on this list is sold on this forum!!!

https://www.plantedtank.net/#/forumsi...s/56042?page=1
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I spent $12 at my LFS for swords, $80 for a vast variety of plants when I started my 75g, and then $25 for shipping on a 14"x12" mat of corkscrew vals. So just over $100. I'm starting a farm tank set up and I'll be growing a ton of plants. I know plenty of individuals on here spend a ton of money on plants for more exotic, rare, species for their high tech planted tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Algae Grower

AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium equipment and fish in an auction format is your friend. I stocked most of my 240 tank using sellers from there.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I miss the plant system Petsmart used to have. They had a 4 tank freestanding system with pendant lamps *just for plants*. You could find all kinds of stuff in there if you caught it at the right time. Eh, I'm an "add as you go" sort of person so I have no idea of the total.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I have probably spend around $100.

When you start out, it's definitely something to budget for. Always a good idea to plant a tank well in the beginning.

One way to minimize costs is to start out small, like with a 10-20 gal tank, and buy one or two mixed packages here. Nice thing about plants is that they tend to grow. After a while they will fill in, and soon you have enough to stock a 55 gal tank, and after a while that one can populate a 120 or 240 gal.

When I planted my 240 gal tank, the cost was zero - had enough in other tanks to stock it from the beginning.

One could also consider plants an investment... if and when they grow, you can sell them to other budding hobbyists and get your initial "investment" back...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
+1 on selling. I usually RAOK all of mine off though. But it is mostly been dwarf sag, frogbit, and vals.

Wasserpest nailed it again. I'm setting up a few grow out tanks (plastic totes, spare tanks, etc) to grow more plants for my next project.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Haha, yeah, I have always wanted to have a planted aquascape, but recuperating (not really for "profit") some of this hobbies' expenses by selling growing plants is what edged me into buying plants and equipment.

But I am amazed you guys are only mentioning spending $100 or so on plants
Now I really feel like I am spending way too much

Hopefully the "recuperating" will make things a little better haha

But I know there are plenty who spend wayyyy more than me on plants.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

Probably a little over $100 for my 25 gallon cube. A lot (most) of those plants have since died or been given away. Initially I bought some difficult plants and didn't have the right equipment to keep them.

The ones I have now are probably worth $50.

Those prices all include shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
But I am amazed you guys are only mentioning spending $100 or so on plants
Now I really feel like I am spending way too much

But I know there are plenty who spend wayyyy more than me on plants.
You're not spending too much by any means. Over here we have limited availability in store and on-line is expensive because of ridiculous shipping rates.
I'm pretty sure I have spent over 300$ for nine nano tanks, none are bigger than 8 gallons. I probably didn't have to spend that much but I wanted variety, didn't want my tanks to all look the same lol. Besides, how am I going to know what grows well for me and what doesn't
The funny thing is because the tanks are so small I end up with extras. There's a few local people I can give them to, same with trimmings.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 11-20-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode