Walstad farm tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Walstad farm tank questions

Goal:

Farm a ton of jungle val, spiral val and dwarf sag for my next tank project.

Setup:

Standard 55g and 90g high tanks.
Soil
CFL shop lights
power heads for circulation

Questions:

Do I need fish in these tanks?

-I don't want to do hardly anything. They will be in my garage, debating heating them. I do live in Florida so the temps may get hot in there.

What live stock would you recommend?

These will be extremely low tech tanks with the sole purpose to be to grow more plants than my 75g display tank can handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You don't need fish. In fact it is easier to maintain plants without fish. You can keep most plants without a heater.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With no fish you can do more fertilizing than you can with fish. You would have more success if you also dose metricide or Excel at 2 ml per 10 gallons daily, and algae would be less of a problem. I don't find it much of a job to dose metricide, just a simple routine to follow. You do have to avoid any dosage higher than 2 ml per 10 gallons or the vals will not like it at all.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No fish? No problem. Dosing is no problem. Can I really dose (in this case, 140g of water) 28 ml of METRICIDE daily? Or is that the excel dosage? I have a gallon of metricide already, I stopped dosing due to the vals in the tank. I have some liquid ferts that I rarely use. Could I do a low tech dosing regiment? Maybe once a week at EI concentrations? I've done that in the past and I didn't notice much of a change from month to month.

Also, if fish are indeed a non-necessity, I will skip them entirely. That would make it extremely easy on me.

I'm enjoying this a whole lot. This will be a fun project when I get around to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't really think you need to add metricide to a tank like this. Sags and Vals like water on the harder side though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My dwarf sag and spiral val have done well in my main tank. So my water is good enough I guess haha.

I'm all for metricide suggestions or the opposite.

EDIT:

Here's a picture of a setup I was debating. A simple overflow in the center of the 90g, it is drilled with 3 bulk heads in the bottom. It is a taller tank, but not really as square as I made it. It will overflow into the 55g. Shouldn't have any issues since the top of the 55 will be below the water line on the 90g regardless, since it is taller. The 90g does have a stand (the whole setup was a cheap <$1 per gallon craigslist find). Then I'll mount a return pump to the 90g. Just an idea to get some decent flow since I have a spare pump and plenty of PVC.

Last edited by Freemananana; 11-18-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: diagram

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode