Safeguard vs Freshwater Velvet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alright, so my shipment of safeguard has come in, it has come in 3, 4 gram packages.

I'll be using 0.1 gram per 10 gallons of water. I'll be using this on my first first in my hospital tank before I use it on my display tank with inverts to make sure it absolutely works.

I'll be dosing 0.1g once weekly for 4 weeks. Doing a 50% or more water change before doing so. I'll also have the temperature at 82 degrees to speed up the life cycle of the velvet, and I'll be keeping them completely blacked out except for the few minutes of feeding.

As there is very little information on the internet about freshwater velvet and treating it, I'll be using this as a way of documentation and to help the community with this terrible terrible parasite.

I'm actually going to change my regimen up. My nitrates are rising faster than I'd like, so I'm going to do a 50%-80% water change every 4 days and re-dose. I'll be doing my water change tomorrow morning.

So far there are no ill effects towards the fish.

So I did my first water change yesterday, about 70%. I added another .3 grams of fenbendazole to the 29 gallon tub I have them in. The fish show no negative signs to the fenbendazole. I have not noticed any regression in the velvet, however it may take time to kill. I'll continue with treatment and keep you updated.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-27-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
jezzz, you're still dealing with velvet all this time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
jezzz, you're still dealing with velvet all this time?
Yep, lol.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedOdie View Post
I'll be dosing 0.1g once weekly for 4 weeks. Doing a 50% or more water change before doing so. I'll also have the temperature at 82 degrees to speed up the life cycle of the velvet, and I'll be keeping them completely blacked out except for the few minutes of feeding.
I do not have Velvet, but did read on your other thread about it. Did this take care of things? No update and it has been 5 weeks since you started this 4 week process so just wondered. Even if I do not have something I like to see how people fix things and the results in case I ever do.

I hope this worked for you...
And Merry Christmas Eve!!

Main Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode