Please help me choose a new aquarium for my remodeled home - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help me choose a new aquarium for my remodeled home

I broke down my tank about a year ago when we started a full teardown/rebuild of our home. I had a Mr. Aqua 33g low tech planted before. This time around I would like to try CO2. I consider myself still a newbie.

I will have a nice stretch of wall in the home office (we spend a lot of time there) for a new tank. Appearances matter, and I'm willing to spend more for a tank/stand that will fit in with the house. We are nearly done and the house is fairly modern now. We decided against a large built-in tank because there is a decent chance we will sell the home in the next few years.

I am considering an ADA tank (75p or 90p?) or the Innovative Marine Fusion Micro 30L. Innovative Marine

Advantages to the ADA - I live close to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica and speak often with the owner. Disadvantages are price and I might have to do more work to pick equipment and paint the back.

Advantages to IM - I like the sleek look at the potential to do salt water if I choose to go back to that down the road. Disadvantages are the built-in filter maybe not working as well with CO2? It's also pretty narrow but the family likes the look. If I went this route probably would work with the guys from Underwater Depot.

If anyone has thoughts on these tanks or experience with the Innovative Marine as a planted tank your views would be much appreciated.

I have read the tank thread by 0xDEADBEEF and wasn't able to find much more about the IM. . .maybe that should tell me something ;p.

Thanks.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How big is the space? Do you have cabinet space for sump/cannisters? I would go as big as you can physically fit since you will always want room for more fish/plants later anyway.

I would go with ADA because built in filter take up valuable tank space and limit your filtration options. Either paint the wall in the back or get stick on background instead of the tank itself. I could never bring myself to paint ADA tank. OR you can use the tank as room divider so it is visible from both side. My tanks are on the kitchen island and scaped to be seen from both sides.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would suggest the biggest tank for the space. You will eventually regret it if you don't.

Trust me

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The wall space is probably 7-8 feet or so, but it is between two doors (bathroom on one side and a closet on the other). I'd prefer narrower width so the tank doesn't stick out into the walk space too much.

I would think either tank stand could handle cannisters. I had a sump on my SW, would probably skip the sump here or just get the Innovative Marine with the small wet/dry space in back.

As for size, I've had as large as 75 and as small as the Fluval Spec V that is now sitting in my office. My wife and I discussed the larger tank with built in plumbing but in the end decided not to do it in this house. . .I would like something between 30"-36" wide though.

Good idea on the stick on backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
How big is the space? Do you have cabinet space for sump/cannisters? I would go as big as you can physically fit since you will always want room for more fish/plants later anyway.

I would go with ADA because built in filter take up valuable tank space and limit your filtration options. Either paint the wall in the back or get stick on background instead of the tank itself. I could never bring myself to paint ADA tank. OR you can use the tank as room divider so it is visible from both side. My tanks are on the kitchen island and scaped to be seen from both sides.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you don't want it to stick out at 36" then ADA 90H (36x18x24 65g) probably is your tank for maximum water space. However if you going for look (planted tank), then tall tank is a pain in the butt to maintain the scape. I love the fact that I can replant stuff in my 12" w/o even getting my hand wet.

Checkout Mr Aquar 22g L (36x12x12) if you just want a pretty planted tank for smaller fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode