What is your dream tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What is your dream tank?

Not really sure if there's a thread already like this, but what would your dream tank be? If it could be any size, stocking or anything else like that? I personally would love to one day 125 gallon tank. But thats what makes it a dream for me... Lol cause it will never happen. Not enough space in our house.

But it would definitely be a 125 planted with plenty of open swimming space. And I would stock it with lots of smaller schooling Tetras and a good sized school of Denison Barbs, and maybe some Cories. That would do it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It would be about 30 ft. long and built-into the wall with a service area behind the wall.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm about to begin my dream tank. Remodeling my fireplace in the family room, and going to do built-ins on either side. I'm having an L-shaped tank custom made. Not completely sure of the specs yet, but I'm hoping to hit close to 150G. It will be a "native Ozark stream" biotope. Already planning my stocking list. At this rate, I'll be out in the river in the middle of January seining for darters, shiners and madtoms to complement the Southern longear sunfish and orange spotted sunfish I'm going to put in there

I'll probably have an elaborate sump system plumbed to my basement, where I'm going to try and raise western mosquitofish and crays for the occasional live snack. I've been dreaming doing this kind of biotope for a long time!
ROYWS3, ROYWS3, thedood and 3 others like this.

29G Community | 12G Edge | 10G Yellow Neo | 10G Mess |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 4G Fountain Vase |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twin 2.5's | 1G Cubus |

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If I won the powerball the dream tank would be in a library type room where the aquarium was 5ft tall and wrapped around the entire room lol. The one I am planning and saving for is a 225 tall. I would have massive shoals of Cardinal and rummy nose tetra with a "small" group of balla sharks. I had ballas in my 125 and loved them. Very playful and are similar to discus and angel fish in that they respond to you and eat from your hands. Lots of round smooth rocks and heavily planted. Llllllllllllllllooottss of shrimp and corys
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It would probably be a 220 or bigger with a lot of nice angle fish and a lot of nice plants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

once I got a 125 my dream tank turned into a 300.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:37 AM

This aquarium, all of it Monterey Bay Aquarium ? Official Site
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
This topic is not the first of its kinda. I thought a 180g would suite me for aquascaping purposes. But if I had the space I'd dream of a 240g 96lx24wx24h or even better a 360 96lx36wx24h 1" euro braced acrylic tank.
quiquik and quiquik like this.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Algae Grower

Entire basement room devoted to a tank. The stairs coming in step over one side of the tank in the middle of one wall. The tank flows clockwise around the room starting off with a waterfall in the corner by the stairs leading into an almost white water rapids sceen on the first wall. Almost no plants in this part but lots of bamboo shrimp (maybe vines on the wall overhead?) Second stage/wall would be a river sceen with a bank growing lots of plants (crypts and swords, etc growing immersed,emergent and emersed. The next wall leads into a "deep" water area with bigger fish which finishes off in the other corner by the stairs with a 4ft x 4ft floor to ceiling tank. Everything is connected so its all one tank. For the final section with the floor to ceiling tank think of the upside down tank within a tank idea. I've even played with this part continuing into the floor above. A bedroom or study area maybe? Who knows?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Algae Grower

I have more than one and am struggling to decide what to do next. Either a 125 reef or a 125 discus/angel tank.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Imagine having a tank the size of a swimming pool. Instead of looking at it through glass, you could swim inside it!!!! God I want that so bad!!!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Right now I only have tanks less than 8 gallons. So, even a 75 or 90 gallon would be a dream for me. I wouldn't know what to do with all that room, lol!!

I'm sure once I do get that 4-foot tank I'll want a 6-footer though. I've heard hubby say often enough, "go big or go home"

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh yes, a swimming pool sized tank, at LEAST! that you can swim in and also see in from the outside.

Would be cool to have a ton of little fish (corydoras, tetras, etc.) and watch their more natural schooling/shoaling behaviors due to the sheer massive area of the tank. The behaviors/activity levels seen in the wild are much more different and more entertaining/interesting to witness compared to how fish act in our relatively small tanks. And yes, swimming with the fishes would be the best experience, even swim in an aquatic jungle of underwater plants haha)

But of course there are so many different stocking ideas I have in mind, it's hard to decide which I would want most. (from small peaceful fish in a massive tank to large predator only tank or even a nice paludarium with fish, turtles, frogs, crabs, and other amphibians coexisting together peacefully, as well as all the crazy looking plants).

But more realistically (more likely to obtain a long time from now), maybe a 180 gallon or larger. Or maybe a large koi pond with a arowana in it (don't want to give up yard space though :P)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:45 PM
drx
Algae Grower

2 3000g tanks one for Sa monsters (rtc shovel nose cats. ect) one for Na monsters( pikes lm bass walleye ect)
cjstl and cjstl like this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

Dreaming for anything less than 300 gallons is like being asked what is your dream car and responding with a camry, malibu, focus, minivan, etc.

If you want to swim in a tank look at ponds. they are very realistic for a determined homeowner. Pool conversions are easily to do also. There's an old post I remember about someone who made a backyard lake and had it planted with submersed flora and even compressed co2! I haven't been able to find it again but I'll keep looking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode