Starting off on the right foot? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting off on the right foot?

Hey all. My tank has been running for just over a week now and I am curious as to if there's anything I need to do that I've missed. Here's the specs first off.
Temp 26-28C
PH 7.2
KH 4.5
CO2 - DIY 1 Ladder Diffuser
GH 180mg/l
NH3/4 .25
NO2 .25

NO flours running 12 hours
PC running only 4hrs

Plants
Echinodorus bleheri
Hygrophila corymbosa ''Siamensis''
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Limnophila sessiliflora
Ceratopteris cornuta
Cabomba caroliniana

Fish
4 Platies
2 Swordtails

As you can tell I've selected fast growing plants, the last two i got as cuttings from a friend. I am doing 20 - 30% water changes when need be as to try and keep the levels from spiking too much and killing all the fish. I prefer to use fish as I try and rely as lil on possible on chemicals, except water conditioner of course. My CO2 levels are low as I'm only using one 3L bottle for a 50g, but I will add an extra one when I have a better idea how long the mixture last, some CO2 is better than none eh. My tank is obviously still in its cycling stage. I don't plan on adding ferts for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. All other tank stats are in my signature.

I just want to make sure I'm off to the right start, If anyone has an comments or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. Better to fix my mistakes now before there's a problem You can see my current tank here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9180 the water is much clearer now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice looking tank you have going there! You should not see any ammonia or nitrite spikes with your current bioload. I would keep all lights running for 10 hours each day; no more than 11, but not less than 9. The key to avoiding the algae syndrome is to keep doing those water changes every 3-4 days for the first 2-3 weeks. Some algae will still show, but that's where an algae eating crew will come in handy. The AE crew is for preventative measures, not to rid your tank of existing algae. Oto's and SAE's are excellent choices. If you have the cash, you can invest in some Amano shrimps, but they aren't necessary.

Your main goal is to get those plants growing optimally in the least amount of time possible. You can start dosing nutrients, but never ever dose "a little extra." This is called luxury dosing, and new tanks will only grow algae. Only dose trace nutrients and a little nitrogen and phophorus. If you use KNO3 (stump remover), then you have no need to dose potassium at this point. I would also think about getting some extra CO2 in there asap (better sooner than later). Hope this helps!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 01:27 AM

An excellent algae is the bristlenose pleco. Only gets to be about 3-4 inches long but constantly eating algae. I recommend feeding all algae eaters supplemental food as well, like algae wafers, veggies, etc.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:34 AM

Quick question: Why, when I click on the link for the pics, am I taken to another thread and only see 3 attached pics: 1 of the DIY equipment before assembly, 1 of the hood open and one of the hood closed?

Are there other pics and if so, where are they?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode