Odd cycle question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Odd cycle question

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I'm not turning up much on a search...

I'm buying a tank setup that I don't want to actually have up and running until Christmas. Would it be possible to take the filter and put it on say, a little 5 gallon (currently empty) in my basement and keep the bacteria alive until I'm ready to get the main tank up and running?

Would I be ok just putting some ammonia or fish food in the 5 gallon daily to keep the bacteria alive?

Assuming this works, how long should I wait to stock the main tank after I've transferred the filter from the 5 gallon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, this can be done.
Do you have the necessary testing kit to monitor Ammonia & Nitrite? If so, then the only other thing I would suggest is getting a bottle of ammonia. That part is actually a little harder than you might think though. It has to be ammonia without anything else added. If you shake the bottle in the store and it foams up, no good. Typically I find what I need at a hardware store in the cleaning aisle. It's usually the cheapest stuff you can find, LOL.
Look for the user on hear, screen name Diana. She has an excellent write up on how to do a fishless cycle.

Stocking your main tank is the next question. The filter you have will be cycled. The new tank - not so much. I would probably setup you new tank, transfer the cycled filter to the new tank, then add ammonia for a couple of days to the new tank and monitor the results. Keep in mind, the bacteria in your filter are used to a certain amount of ammonia. If you stock your tank with more ammonia producing fish that the filter can handle you will see a spike in ammonia for a while.

I would suggest after a few days of setup, to add some of the more hardy stock you plan on adding. Wait a week, then add more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes you can read upon the fishless cycle and just add a given amount of Ammonia
which would be determined by the 5g size to reach a level of Ammonia in the water.
As long as you maintain that level the bacteria will remain at a constant level also.
That bacteria will multiply rather quickly so it's not necessary to maintain a large amount of them. I say this because in that small tank the nitrates will build up very quickly if you try to maintain a large amount of those bacteria in there.
But Tetra Safe Start actually works and it's far easier to just add it to the new tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yup, your plan works fine. The ammonia I found without anything added was at ace hardware...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this all sounds doable, thanks for the input!

I've been out of the hobby for quite a while. My last tank was a reef, but even that was 8 or so years ago. I'm trying to get a tank up and running for my little girl for Christmas. Trying to kind of keep this under wraps, but also not have her wait for a month or more after Christmas to be able to get a fish is interesting to say the least...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiwork View Post
Ok, this all sounds doable, thanks for the input!

I've been out of the hobby for quite a while. My last tank was a reef, but even that was 8 or so years ago. I'm trying to get a tank up and running for my little girl for Christmas. Trying to kind of keep this under wraps, but also not have her wait for a month or more after Christmas to be able to get a fish is interesting to say the least...
Sounds like a fun project. Best of luck on the secret and progress :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1447717796&sr=1&keywords=ammonium+chloride
Ammonium chloride is the easiest way to keep the cycle going. Roughly one drop/gal/every other day is enough.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode