Will this work? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
Will this work?

As I am learning more about my tank and plants, I have received a ton of advice and helpful hints. I have a 75 gallon tank. I have found out that most of my plants are low light, except for wisteria and water sprite. I dose with 3 capfuls of Metricide daily. I also dose with macro/micro ferts daily. My question is this: Would DIY co2 work in conjunction with the Metricide? I'm on the fence about getting a pressurized system and was wondering if the combo of the DIY and Metricide would improve the quality of my plants....until I'm ready to make the jump to pressurized.
bassbuster23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Willcooper's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 975
Diy co2 will definitely help. Even with some addition of co2 you will see a vast improvement in growth and health of your plants. Co2 ppm is about 2-5 ppm in a non injected tank and when you add co2 to even 15ppm you will see a big improvement. I just added diy co2 to my tank a little over a month ago and within a couple of days I saw the difference. I now get 30ppm by adjusting my recipe and removing leaks and they grow like gangbusters under my high light.

As for metriciide, I used excell for the first 6 months of my tank and I found it to be of little help. Not saying it doesn't have value but if you are looking for good co2 concentration you can easily achieve this with proper diffusion and water flow.

Oh and btw, I just ordered an aquatech co2 regulator mini and a $20 24oz co2 tank for $110. Great value to get pressurized co2. I am already getting tired of changing one of the bottles once a week with the diy setup and I already had the check valve, bubble counter and diffuser from my diy setup.
Willcooper is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Don't waste your time doing DIY co2 on a 75 Gallon, especially with the plants you mentioned. It just won't be worth your efforts. If you really want co2 just make the investment in pressurized like Willcooper did.
houseofcards is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
@Willcooper and @houseofcards........thanks for the response. I was curious to know if it would work or if anyone had tried it with good results. Most of my tank is low light plants and I do understand that pressurized co2 would help them as well as high light plants. I was just wondering what the benefit of diy would be while I'm using up the Metricide.
bassbuster23 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
Not much, on a 75 gallon tank. I suppose, if you set up about 3 bottles, and switched one out each week, you might get some CO2 in there. It won't be much.

However, it is dirt cheap to try! Really easy!
Diana is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Not much, on a 75 gallon tank. I suppose, if you set up about 3 bottles, and switched one out each week, you might get some CO2 in there. It won't be much.

However, it is dirt cheap to try! Really easy!
I think I'm getting the nerve up to try it with diy.....just to see if I'm gonna be interested in going to full pressurized.
bassbuster23 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
When you use DIY CO2 it is a very good idea to continue dosing the Metricide. Otherwise you are likely to get algae caused by the non-steady CO2 you almost always get with DIY. When I used DIY CO2 with low light I got BBA. Now that I use only Metricide, no CO2, with a little higher light intensity I don't get more than trivial BBA.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
essabee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster23 View Post
I think I'm getting the nerve up to try it with diy.....just to see if I'm gonna be interested in going to full pressurized.
Do go ahead - its fun and you will enjoy it. Go with 3 X 2 liter generator bottles each fitted with its own check-valve to enable you to remove one bottle each week by unscrewing the cap and re-charging it. Install a inline reactor for the CO2 output or go with ladder type diffusers in the tank. Keep dosing metricide daily even with CO2. Don't change any of present routines.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
essabee is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
When you use DIY CO2 it is a very good idea to continue dosing the Metricide. Otherwise you are likely to get algae caused by the non-steady CO2 you almost always get with DIY. When I used DIY CO2 with low light I got BBA. Now that I use only Metricide, no CO2, with a little higher light intensity I don't get more than trivial BBA.
I think that's the direction my tank is progressing towards also, @Hoppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
Do go ahead - its fun and you will enjoy it. Go with 3 X 2 liter generator bottles each fitted with its own check-valve to enable you to remove one bottle each week by unscrewing the cap and re-charging it. Install a inline reactor for the CO2 output or go with ladder type diffusers in the tank. Keep dosing metricide daily even with CO2. Don't change any of present routines.
I've been looking at the citric acid/baking soda recipes.....would this require a 4 bottle setup @essabee?
bassbuster23 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
essabee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Posts: 1,012
I was thinking yeast.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
essabee is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
I was thinking yeast.
From what little info I've read, citric acid/baking soda is less messy and more consistent.
bassbuster23 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Argus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 584
I had a yeast DIY setup for a 30g tank. I was using a one gal. Martinelli's apple juice bottle for the yeast mixture and a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DI1W4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00. It worked reasonably well when the room temp. was 80-85°F. When the weather changed and temps dropped to 70° it was not so effective.

I went with a GLA PRO-2 pressurized system. After ordering it, I noticed reptile tank heating pads at Petco. One of the mini pads might have worked to keep the yeast at an effective temp.

For a 75g tank I think you would want two or three DIY systems with separate diffusers. Since they will never have the same exact pressure I think it would be less effective to gang them into one diffuser. You would also have difficulty telling when one needs changing.

This photo shows two setups for two tanks. The yeast bottle goes into a hookah/bubble counter isolation bottle that helps keep yeast out of the tank.

Argus is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
essabee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Posts: 1,012
If ever I need to do CO2 chemically - I would use a Kipp's Aparatus with marble chips and dilute acid, probably HCl.

@Argus

I had a yeast system which did not suffer from temperature variation - my generators were in a water bath with a an aquarium heater fixed at 30C. It had other unique features like night storage etc. and it was consistent enough for me to use needle valves to regulate the supply to 3 well lit tanks having a joint volume of 1700 liters.

The only drawback was that I was becoming notorious as the end product of my generator discharge was becoming too famous. I was using cane molasses and yeast and did not wish to be on the visit list of the local excise department. Its illegal in my country to produce alcohol without licence even for self consumption.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
essabee is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
If ever I need to do CO2 chemically - I would use a Kipp's Aparatus with marble chips and dilute acid, probably HCl.

@Argus

I had a yeast system which did not suffer from temperature variation - my generators were in a water bath with a an aquarium heater fixed at 30C. It had other unique features like night storage etc. and it was consistent enough for me to use needle valves to regulate the supply to 3 well lit tanks having a joint volume of 1700 liters.

The only drawback was that I was becoming notorious as the end product of my generator discharge was becoming too famous. I was using cane molasses and yeast and did not wish to be on the visit list of the local excise department. Its illegal in my country to produce alcohol without licence even for self consumption.
For those, like me, who don't know what a Kipp's Apparatus is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipp%27s_apparatus

Has anyone here tried this? It works a lot like the Chinese two bottle citric acid/baking soda generator. Ebay has some Kipp's apparatus listed for sale.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
For those, like me, who don't know what a Kipp's Apparatus is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipp%27s_apparatus

Has anyone here tried this? It works a lot like the Chinese two bottle citric acid/baking soda generator. Ebay has some Kipp's apparatus listed for sale.
It looks like a bong......
bassbuster23 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome